Plant identification help!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, Aug 9, 2005.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I am plant stupid..LOL! This is probably some common plant everyone knows but I don't know my plants at all. I am getting ready to fence in a new area for browse :clap: and wasn't sure if these plants were ok for the goats to be eating.

[​IMG]
    Thanks!
    Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Wait for someone on the East coast to respond, but it looks like Burdock out west here. My goats loved it and never saw any harm. Sheep on the other hand... not good.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

looks like thistle to me. my goats wouldn't touch the stuff, but birds love it in the winter.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

ps- don't feel stupid. that's how all of us start- looking at a plant, and wondering what it is.

beware, it can become addictive...:) i often have a shovel and field guide in the car.

5. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

The plant in question is called 'teasle' (rhymes with weasle). It used to be used as a brush for wool and hair sometimes back in the pioneer days. It is very common around country roads and highways. A bit if the past that remains with us from a time when we used to use everything!

I go not think that it would hurt them any. My goats have picked at it, but do not eat that much....too sticky I guess!

You can always dry it and sell it a the farmers market. They sell for about a buck a piece around here with they have the Spoon River Drive in the fall.

6. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Tracy

Your Cornel Univ. Extension will probably help you identify any plants you can't ID yourself. Just be sure to get as much of the plant (including roots and dirt) that you can take to them. Some extensions will actually come to your property and take an 'inventory' of your flora...

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Looks like teasel to me, too. I don't know if goats will eat it, but it's not on any of the poisonous plants lists.

8. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyones help. They are the only plants I was curious about. Well, maybe I should do a extra once over to be sure, but I don't think there is anything else there to worry about.

Thanks again,
    Tracy
    Southwestern, NY