Plant goats don't eat

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Nancy_in_GA, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me a hint on this plant? Our goats won't eat it, but they have plenty of other stuff right now. Need to find out if it's poisonous.

home.earthlink.net/~nlyons545/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/goat1_3.jpg

This one is about 8 in tall. I *think* it's an annual, because the roots don't go very deep and this is about the biggest one I've seen so far.

The blossom looks like a white bell, about 1/4 inch across, with a yellow center hanging out.

Thanks,
    Nancy
    NE Georgia

2. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

This may be deadly nightshade. Atropa belladonna. But the flowers don't match up.

3. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

It is Solanum americanum, which is a poisonous nightshade. Your goats are smart to avoid it!

4. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Gosh, I bet you think I was putting you on, but I wasn't. Went out this morning and pulled up every one of these I could find. Found some with green and purple berries, some with more jagged-shaped leaves, and some with the flowers open like a star---much more like the pictures of American nightshade online.

I think we must have brought the seeds in on the hay we bought last winter, because the closer I got to the barn, the more of them I found. But directly on the other side of the goat fence, I couldn't find any.

Sure hope this stuff doesn't get started here.

Thank you once again.

Nancy

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It was prob already on the property. Most goats won't eat enough stuff like that to make them sick unless they are starving, so I wouldn't worry too much. But it doesn't hurt to pull out either, if you have the time.