Plant breeders, Seed Savers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by john#4, Sep 9, 2004.

1. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

A flew of you who breed plants should look in too patenting them. The big seed co. can and will find out the genetic background. I don’t know the ins & outs of this, but it would be worth your time and effort to look into this.

Seed savers, the best book you can get is “Seed To Seed” it tells you more then you can even think about. This is the best book I have ever seen on seed saving. Please look into it. At www.seedsavers.org Hope this helps whoever needs it.
    John#4

2. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

Amazon.com has it for $17.

3. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

WV,
    That is quite a deference, but the book is IMO the best.
    John#4

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I asked my local library to order a copy of this book, the newest edition, and they did. If you have a library close enough to you it'll save you the cost of buying it. It's an excellent book that's written in plain english.

It talks the way Paquebot does. :D

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

FloGal, how'd you know that I also own that book? Actually didn't have it until about 9 hours ago. I needed it to have on hand for ready reference to settle any arguments rather than run to the library every time I needed it. Being an SSE member, I felt it proper to support the organization by paying their price. Here's where I spent a half hour today:

http://www.seedsavers.org/store.html

Had to force myself to stay away from the seed racks. Baskets of garlic were all screaming at me: "Take me home!" At the last moment, something reminded me that I already had 24 varieties of garlic at home and each bulb had a tiny tear steaming down its side when I left them there!

Martin

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Several times when I was reading through the book "Seed to Seed" I was saying to myself "That's exactly what Paquebot said!"

Now I know why the book talks like you do. :D

Thanks so much for the Seed Saver link, I've bookmarked it. I tried to find that site several months ago and for some reason had no luck. I'd love to be able to visit a SSE store but there are none in my area. :waa: I'm happy with at least having an online link.

Fla Gal

7. Paquebot

Alas for all others, there are only two SSE stores. The main one is in Decorah, IA and the smaller one in Madison, WI. However, every seed offered in the SSE public catalog is available in the Madison store. I have no real idea as to why they opened the Madison store since the Whealy family had no ties to that area that I know of. However, there originally were 3 large seed companies within a 50 mile radius of Madison. They were Old's in Madison, Jung's in Randolph, and Shumway's in Rockford, IL. Old's went out of business years ago and Shumway's ended up down South for a time after Wayne Hilton bought the company. Jung's bought Shumway's and moved it back up here last year and is now also in Randolph. Jung's also has two store outlets in Madison plus one about 7 blocks away in my city. For certain, we do not have to just sit at home and look at catalogs or take what is offered at the box stores. We are able to walk into those outlet stores and it is exactly like walking into their catalogs. When you see over 100 feet of seed racks, with packets from floor to as high as even I can reach, you'd think that you were in Gardener's Heaven!

Martin

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Martin, I am totally jealous!!! It is all I can do not to order enough seed to plant 100 acres every year! I don't think I could get out of one of those stores with my bank acct intact!

9. Paquebot

Cyngbaeld, Friday is an automatic stop at the local Jung's store. If I show up on any other day, everything stops while they check the calendar! With this being a slow time, I am not joking when I say that the head clerk was waiting for me at the door this morning! I was hustled off to the office where there was a small package tacked to the bulletin board. In it was a garlic bulb which I wanted to see. My name was on the bag and it was a gift. A week ago, I'd taken in some huge tomatoes and there were enough so each person on duty could have one. What goes around, comes around. The manager and head clerk are both avid gardeners and we have many show-and-tell sessions. I'll show off my best results one Friday and they'll bring in their best the next Friday. You can't do that with a catalog!

I might add that should anyone need something out of the Jung's catalog real quick, I can get. When there were problems with Shumway seed delivery several years ago, the post office almost began to think that I was part of the Jung's combine with all the seeds that I was sending out! It's a lot of fun to be able to help fellow gardeners in any way possible.

Martin