plans for a kid box?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I finally decided to bite the bullet and do my own kids (who are getting older and older as I am making this decision....don't worry, still under 2 weeks) I was orginally going to have my husband heat a piece of pipe but thought it would be hard to handle so I picked up a dehorner. The only one they had was the 125 but I understand that it will still work. I'll just have to make sure I wait until the tip gets hot enough between buds. I also remembered the tetnus.

I thought I could do it with just my husband and myself holding but decided that a box would be better but now that I have made this decision, I cannot find any plans (searches always bring up anything with kid in it when I look for dehorning kid box :shrug: ) So, does anyone have a site I can go to for plans? AND anything they would change on their box. Thanks in advance.

PS I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS....

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I had to do kids BY MYSELF for the first time ever this year -- had left my kid box in NH when my marriage ended (no room to haul everything out here to Oregon). I found instructions on disbudding without a box, tried it, and actually like it better than using the box (though as I get older, may need to alter the technique to save my knees!). You kneel (on a pad or the soft ground or something), fold the kids front legs up and tuck them under you, and basically sit on them hard enough that they can't wiggle out from under you. Then you can pin their head with one hand, and use the other hand for trimming hair and holding the disbudding iron. It worked just fine!

Eventually I may have to put the kids on a bench or something that I can straddle, as it WAS a little hard on my knees doing it that way.

Kathleen

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Thank you Ruth!

I actually have one of those lamb bars that holds their legs, Kathleen. Someone gave it to me and I never tried using it. Bet it would work along with the kneeling.

Think I'll try both and see which I like best. Thank you both for your help and time.

PS I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS....

4. Freeholder

:p That's what I had to tell myself, too! I'd done a lot of kids before, of course, but always with help from my (former) husband -- there have been a lot of things I've had to learn to do by myself!

Kathleen

5. Freeholder

Re-reading my first post, I think there is some ambiguity in the way I phrased that, LOL! I don't tuck the kid's front legs under me, I tuck the whole kid under me! Basically, you fold up their legs, then straddle the kid and sit on it (gently -- just enough to hold it in place -- and they do wiggle).

Kathleen

6. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

That's funny, I understood what you meant and tested it out on a kid a little while ago and did find that they wiggled alot but seemed secure. I usually hold the does between my legs when I have to do something with them so it would be the more natural thing to do.

My husband said he would help me. I warned him that they will scream but he has taken the attitude that if it has to be done, it has to be done. What a trooper. (He's a city boy)

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I did it! :happy: :dance: :happy: Thank you Kathleen, the kneeling worked great! I had so much control over the little ones (I held for the vet for years and this was so much better)

I made sure to let it heat 10 minutes between kids and clipped the heads first (vet told me not to bother but it really helped) I would burn, put ice packs on their little moaning heads, give tetnus shot, a little Wonder Dust and we were done. Did 5 kids, different ages and horn nub lenghts which I touched with the hot iron. We'll see in a month if I did it right.

My husband was good (city boy) he helped by holding the legs, cleaning the iron between burns, asking me if I got a copper circle and did I give the shot yet. :) It upset him when I had to go back.

Isn't it amazing that within the hour they act like nothing ever happened?