planning my 1st garden ?'s/advice wanted

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by davaseco, May 6, 2006.

1. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

Hi everyone
    I just moved to the Missouri Ozarks...been on our new land 3 months....10 acres...all trees....red cedars on the front 5 acres...oaks on the back half...
    This is completely undeveloped land...only thing here is our new house our new pole barn and our well...
    I trying to plan out my garden. I have a good idea where I want to put it. No matter where i put it we will have to push out some trees. i want to start small and probably will have to do raised beds because of the clay soil. There are only three of us...no need to plant big...yet. That being said, my first questions are...how much distance should I put between the garden beds and the trees?..this will give me an idead of how big an area I should clear......is red cedar mulch OK for a vegetable garden? what about using red cedar in compost? I'm trying to get a compost pile started also. Can you compost fairly well without one of those bins i see for sale? What would you do to keep it from blowing away in the wind or losing some to rain run off? As you can tell, I'm VERY new to this, but trying really hard to learn. You all seem like a great bunch to learn from.
    i've also thought about tapping into our wash water to use for irrigating the garden...has anyone done this...any thoughts?

2. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Congrats on the move and starting new. I would not use my grey water on the garden proper. The soap may not do it good. We use our drain water for my fishing worm area. I would pick a well drained site but not on a steep grade. A low lying area would have much better soil depth and easier to water. Best wishes on the new garden, Gideon

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you have black walnut trees, the distance will depend on how much shade the trees throw on your garden - almost all vegetables want full sun.
    I'm a firm believer that you can compost anything that ever lived and you can compost extremely well without a bought bin. I use pallets for most of our compost heaps - but a ring of chicken wire works great too. For most of my life we just had heaps - no sides at all, but now that I do alot more composting I find having sides makes life easier.
    Our first couple of years here we drained our dishwasher and washing machine into 5 gal buckets to water the garden - heavy work and we only did it until we got the pressure tank replaced. Some areas won't let you divert grey water though.

4. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I use 3 circular bins--free from my county but one day hope to have enough land to duplicate a system I saw on PBS (?) years ago. It was built with bales of straw for the sides! These were slow piles--not stirred. Depending on what was tossed in, 2 seasons could be required for full decomposition but what a payoff! Hey, a girl can dream...

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Start small.

Make it larger as you gain experience.

I like to leave at least twenty, twenty five feet between the edge of the garden and any large established trees if I can otherwise you end up chopping out a lot of roots that eventually grow back to compete with your garden for nutrients and water.

I don't compost, but I do use a lot of mulch. Same end result without all the turning.

.....Alan.