Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really trying to get our shopping down to twice a year. But I am unsure on how to store all the potatoes that I would use. We currently have a storm cellar and I am thinking that I could use it as a storage cellar and I'd like to put in a new one closer to the house. The current one is like 50 ft from the house and with all the children I am not sure that we would get there in time.
So my question is how can I store these without bugs getting into them in the summer months? Right now I think it is 100 degrees outside with a heat index of 105. Winter months shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think but any advice would be helpful, oh and this a cement block shelter.

Blessings,
Debi

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
we had a potatoe bin in the cellar of an old house. the cellar was a stone foundation. it stayed very cool all year long. the bin was made of oak. he used to sprinkle garden lime (white powder lime) on the potatoes. they would last a long time down there.

another option would be to dig a hole and bury them. i considered building a box out of whatever i could find, even an old washing machine drum, and burying potatoes in it. i figured that if i used something like wood or a metal frame, i would need to put hardware cloth around it to prevent voles from eating my potatoes.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
It'd take a heckuva large root cellar for that many taters... that is, if ya'll like taters. Like Meloc said, sprinkling lime on helps... that's what my grandparents did to keep there's over summer.

Curious, do you still shop regularly, or are you growin most of your food. Twice a year sounds like a long time. I went a month at a time in AK, and several times 2 months... and know I sure had a hankering to visit the grocery store, near the end of my backcountry tours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts