Planing your gardens for this year

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by crafty2002, Jan 17, 2007.

1. crafty2002

crafty2002 Well-Known Member

I was wondering how everyone plans their garden or if you do as I have, and just start planting until you run out of space???????? :shrug:
    I was also wondering how you chosse your seeds??
    This will be my third year. The first I was on crutches and tilled it any way. :rolleyes:
    Well, I had enough setting down but it didn't do good.
    last year it done well and this year I hope to have several times as much planted as last year. :dance:
    I was just wondering how you all plan what you are going to plant and can etc.
    Also, has anyone ever grown those bushel gourds?? I was thinking of growing them and useing them as planters next year?? :shrug:
    God bless

2. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Last year I started taking graph paper and plotting out what I wanted to plant and where. Before this though I got an exact measurement of the garden (65' x 35').
    This year I've decided not to try to grow everything under the sun, but just larger quantities of what I know my family really likes and will eat. I've decided to learn to can this year so I want to can things that we all like. On the definite grow list right now: tomatoes, onions, potatoes, green beans, a few peppers, corn, peas, winter squash and brussel sprouts.
    Raised bed w/cold frame: lettuces, radishes, spinach, carrots.
    Thats it for right now but I'm sure there will be additions.

I am a self confessed gourd head :rolleyes: but have never grown the bushel gourds due to our growing season not being long enough for proper development (unless I guess I grew them indoors for quite a while before planting out). Areas with milder weather and long growing seasons are best for those I have heard. (CA, TX) I have and do grow many different types of gourds each year however. They are addictive! You can make very nice planters out of many different varieties - don't just think about one shape only. The options are limitless! :)

3. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

First I make a list of what we like and don't like as well as a list of what we still have leftover in the cellar. Then I take graph paper and draw the beds and go from there. Problem is I can alsways get way more in my paper beds then I can in the real beds so I always have leftover seeds.

4. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I use a spread sheet on my computer. One sheet for a diagram and one each for a list of seed pks and flowers.
    I would not plant a garden with out a plan. Putting plants that shade others can cause alot of problems.
    The good thing about using the computer is you don't wear through the paper erasing.

5. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Crafty -

Go to this web address.
    http://www.engsoaps.com/Gardenlayout/layout.html

This is a garden layout plan for square foot gardening. It may take a little bit to load on your computer. But basically, you build your beds with the available materials and veggies on the right side of the page- just click and drag to the appropriate spot.

I used this last year even though I didn't adhere to the square foot gardening method too much. I just liked it as a planning tool that I could actually look at. :)

6. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I plan my garden on paper, also. That way I can keep up with the crop rotation.

I always plant the standard veggies, but this year I decided to plant a few of the less familiar squashes. I get so sick of zucchini and summer squash, so I thought I would try the pattypan type squashes and a couple different winter type squashes, too. I seems weird to be eating Butternut squash in July, but it sure was good.

I also had to make myself abstain from ordering anymore green bean seeds. I have so many seeds left over from the last 2 years, that I plan to use them up this year and order some different varieties next year.