Plan or Pipedream???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tracylee4me, Mar 1, 2005.

1. tracylee4me

tracylee4me Member

Hi I was hoping for some advice on a plan the we have about moving to the country... I was rased for the most part in Southern CA. and Lived in Oregon on a ranch for a while in High School... While I hated to leave I moved back to S. CA and have wanted to go back to rural living for a real long time.. To make a long story shorter life circumstance have led me to Northern CA. I live just outside of Sacramento in a town called Folsom.. Cost of housing out here is a lot! If I pay $300,000 I'll be lucky to get a home in a not so desireable neighbor hood (we have two small childern and want the best for them).... I've been doing a little reasearch and it seems like we can pay what we would for a track home in the getto or move up the mountian and get a some acerage a modular home (or two Possibly one for a rental) and have enough $ left over to purchace any necessary equipment we may need to take care of our gardens and animals... Has anyone everheard of a loan like this??? I just cant imagine buying land in the City, Im paying $1300 a month now to live in a 100 year old home (a duplex actually) and I figure for just a couple of hundred more I might be able to finance our Short term dream (I don't see our long term dream in CA). Any advice is is welcome and appreciated...

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

There is a caretaking magazine that some folks here subscribe to. That might get you into living on someone elses land while taking care of someone elses critters...and MAYBE you would be allowed to have critters....for nothing.

Then again, perhaps you could rent?

Trailer sales offices in the more rural areas could perhaps explain the financing available: getting a loan for a trailer house on land can be a pain but a good salesman could tell you who to call.

3. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

The key in your statement is that you don't see staying in CA for the long term. I would suggest you look in the neighborhoods that might now be considered a ghetto, but have the potential to gentrify. Purchase something that is liveable, but can be fixed up and resold in few years. Look at as an investment, not a long term living situation. You also might qualify for loans that are marked specifically for people going into areas that are not the most desirable.

You will find that many neighborhoods that are labelled as ghettos are actually middle class (minority middle class, but middle class values just the same). Look for a neighborhood with an artistic population who need space, but cannot afford popular urban real estate. In a hot housing market like CA you will find many middle class families living in areas that a few years ago were considered dangerous. How many middle class families can afford a $300,000+ home? They do exactly what I am suggesting - they find a border line neighborhood and trade up when the market catches up to them.

20 years ago I lived on the outskirts of one the toughest neighborhoods in Brooklyn NY. My landlord offered to sell me the building for $250,000 - sorry to say I didn't have the money. That same building today is worth about 2 million.

edited for clarity.

4. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

We did it. We bought land about three years ago near Yosimite to retire on. It had well and septic and power and road in[ old trailer had burnt down on it]. When hubby got laid off we sold our house in town and put a new moduler on property and put in fencing and couldnt be happyer. If you get a modular get extra insulation in it as it will cut down heatng and air bills. We bought modular out right then last year we refid and took out some to bay off bills and got a lower rate on morgage as it now had a house .

5. tracylee4me

tracylee4me Member

The hot housing market is partially why Im looking to move up the hill... I figure some developers would gobble my my little patch of land when Im ready to move in about 10-15 years... So maybe If I actually built a real house on the land I may be better off... I just cant imagine how much that would cost... I suppose I should look into that before I make up my mind... I just was hoping to have some of the loan money to start a little farm... Maybe Id just be biting off more than I can chew.

6. CurtinMN

CurtinMN Member

There is a caretaking magazine that some folks here subscribe to. That might get you into living on someone elses land while taking care of someone elses critters...and MAYBE you would be allowed to have critters....for nothing.

Yes Terri, the magazine can be found at www.caretaker.org
    Hope that helps!

7. tracylee4me

tracylee4me Member

Thanks I saved that like however, both my girlfried work full time and have childeren... So are looking to start small, the first critters we would look into would be some chickins(Her in Folsom they consider chickens to be live stock so we cant build a coop (however our neighbors have a 200 lb pig but she a pot belly so thats ok)... I raised egg chickens up in Oregon and Tracy Lee used to help her granny to the dirty work getting the chickens to the supper table... So at first we plan to start small seeing as we only have a few hours each day to spend on the property and weekends... We also had horses on our ranch up north, but quite honestly they scared me.. I mean there huge!!! We just wanted enough land to plant a garden to help feed the family and eventually maybe a milk cow/goats... Our jobs will eventually allow us to be home by the early afternoon... So I figure if we do most of the work early morning and when we come home we'd only have to leave our place un attended for a few hours a day... Im not sure if our work schedules would allow us to take care of a big piece of land for some one... Im gonna check out the magizine anyway because it sound like some of these folks include rent and my back still still has a few good years left on it (God willing).

8. tracylee4me

tracylee4me Member

Well just in case anyone was wondering.... It was a pipe dream... I talked with a realtor and he said in the area I was interested the have some kind of law that dosnt allow people to sell a portion of their property ie- if you have 150 acres you have to sell it all at once so if a person dose happen to have a few acres for sale it goes for hundreds of thousands of dollars to the highest bidding bay area yuppie. So it looks like I will be renting for quite some time... So just a word of advice don, come to California unless your a millionaire... Because if your not this state sucks.... And hopefully I be able to move before it falls into the ocean..

9. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Sorry your dreasm were ruined,perhaps it IS time to move to another state?

Sometimes it seems we have to get 'knocked on the head' to realise it is 'TIME'....

In our particular case,we are REALLY starting to get the message-time to leave....

Good luck n your future plans.

10. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I'm sorry too, but a long time ago, my then husband and I saw what we considered the perfect spot in Colorado, called the realtor and he told me that the price was "45". I replied "Forty Five Hundred?" He laughed for a few minutes, lol, and said, "No! Thousand!".

Well we were pretty discouraged, but what ended up happening was I researched rural real estate, got a company out of the Mother Earth News pages, sent off, got pics, and ended up taking a three day trip up to Montana, where a year later, I started spending eight of the happiest years of my life!

hollym

11. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a mortgage that also includes money for the purchase of tools and farming equipment. I don't think that such a thing exists. Probably the better way to do it would be to reduce your down payment by the amount of cash that you'll need for equipment. It's much easier to find a loan that accomodates very little money down than to try to wrap the equipment into the loan.

The good news is that you have $300k worth of buying power. In most of the country that is a whole heck of a lot of money. Assuming that you can build up some equity in that kind of a market you'll be able to take those city dollars and set yourself up pretty well in the country eventually.

-Jack

12. tracylee4me

tracylee4me Member

Im not quite sure if I have $300,000 buting power or not it just seems thats the going rate for homes out here... (in the Sacramento metro area).... My ex is out here and I can't move to far from my boy and I just don't think it'd be right to take him that far from his mother... But hey Reno's not to far and they seem to have land in my price range (Around 50k)... So I guess that Ill just have to take a few road trips and check it out...

13. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Don't give up yet. I grew up out there too. Add 'West Coast' to your subject line, just edit it, so all the great folks on here will know where you are talking about and open it. There are ALLOT of people on here from the west, and I'm sure some of them know where there is more reasonable land for you to start on somewhere out there, since you want to stay close to your son. Good Luck! And keep us posted.

14. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

You might look in Southern Oregon -- Klamath Falls, or Medford area. That's not all that far from Sacramento, and at least in the Klamath Falls area land is a lot less expensive than where you are now. You can get a decent house on a small acreage (one to seven or so) for under $200,000. Don't know what you do for work, but the Klamath Falls paper is on-line, so are the local Nickel Ads and the Oregon Employment Service. You could check out both jobs and real estate that way.

Kathleen

15. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Hi neighbor, well not quite. We're in the foothills by Angels Camp. How much are you willing to commute? There's alot of people that commute from the Valley Springs area to Stockton or Sac. I was commuting from Angels to Lodi, for awhile, it took about 50 minutes. Keep looking and take drives in the country, that you are interested. We bought from a private party that carried the paper. We bought 3 acres, 11 years ago with a well, sceptic and a pad cut for about $49,000. It has a beautiful view and is close to pavement but out of "Town". We looked into modulars and RAN real fast. They wanted a 25 year loan and to own our soul. We lived simply for a long time but are building our home, ourselves, now.

16. tracylee4me

tracylee4me Member

I actually used to live in Southen Oregon (Cave Junction area) That may be a little far.. And I havent really looked around Angels Camp I really have to think about that 50 minute commute but from what I gather it takes that long to get from my job in Rancho Cordova to South Sacramento or Stockton (where some people live).. Im gonna check some of the listings near Angel's Camp -thanks

17. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Jackson, in Amador County was running a bus service right through rancho murieta, I think. I don't know if they are still doing it.It connected with Sac transit. The service is called ARTS,(Amador Regional or rural transit) You might check out Amador County, too.

18. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

If you will go backward in the posts, and/or thru the archives, I have posted many ways to get started. Type in "3girls" and you will find them. You must have a specific goal written down. You also can go to a mortgage broker and find out exactly how much you can afford. You may have to do like the rest of us and buy used tools, etc., but that's OK. You can then sit down and rationally think this thing thru. Think about what you would like to do with this land--gardens, animals, etc.

You may need to take little steps, rather than the big leap (ie, buy a good fixer and sell up as you move toward your goal.) Have you thought of the Trinity Alps area or the west valley? What are you trained for? Nurse or Teacher should be able to get work most places.

I wish you well in your endeavors. I agree that getting the kids out of town a little is a good thing.