Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't figure out where to put the greenhouse. I need it close to an electric and water hookup. It is going to be fairly large. Any ideas?

Just as an FYI I'm working on building our property up into a permaculture U-pick orchard.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
What does the Orange indicate? The resolution is hard to see details

But from what I can see, I would suggest annexing the northwest corner of the animal pasture as preference 1, or the southern end of the dog run as preference 2 (assuming the barn wouldn't shade the greenhouse - cannot tell because the image is too small.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does the Orange indicate? The resolution is hard to see details

But from what I can see, I would suggest annexing the northwest corner of the animal pasture as preference 1, or the southern end of the dog run as preference 2 (assuming the barn wouldn't shade the greenhouse - cannot tell because the image is too small.
The orange is current fencing for the poultry and dog run. I think the corner of the dog run could work very well. The barn shades about 3 feet in that direction, I could just do the greenhouse 4 feet from the barn. OR perhaps connect it to the barn and simply have that 4 feet as storage space???? There is an electrical and water hookup in the barn.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where's the house? I wouldn't want a greenhouse too far from the house.
The dog run is connected to the house. The front of the house has a marvelous view and I hate to block it with a greenhouse. The back of the house is pretty ugly so it can only be improved! The dog run is at the back of the house.

I'd honestly never thought of putting it in the dog run before.... I'm an idiot.

T

·
0 Posts
Do you have access to the right of the dog run? Like East-ish of the house? In that field?

·
Registered
356 Posts
southern exposure w/ no obstructions to the east or west is an optimal condition, w/ a building footprint that has a north/south longitudinal axis.

It would be a great idea to connect the green house's 'headhouse' (storage area, as you put it) to the barn, except as far as shade goes, keep in mind that Dec 21 at solar noon will dictate the longest shadow cast from your barn, so I would wager that it will throw a longer shadow than 3 feet. If you let me know how tall your barn is, and what your latitude is, I can tell you how long that shadow is going to be.

I still think the northwest corner of the animal pasture is your best choice right now.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
southern exposure w/ no obstructions to the east or west is an optimal condition, w/ a building footprint that has a north/south longitudinal axis.

It would be a great idea to connect the green house's 'headhouse' (storage area, as you put it) to the barn, except as far as shade goes, keep in mind that Dec 21 at solar noon will dictate the longest shadow cast from your barn, so I would wager that it will throw a longer shadow than 3 feet. If you let me know how tall your barn is, and what your latitude is, I can tell you how long that shadow is going to be.

I still think the northwest corner of the animal pasture is your best choice right now.
It took me forever but I've finally measured and it's 20 feet tall. I think you might be correct about the shadow being larger in winter so I'll built it separate from the barn I think.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Everywhere in North America, an object will cast a shadow longer than its height in winter - only places below 21.5 degrees latitude will an object's shadow in winter be equal to or less than its height.

It really just saves time and headache to place greenhouses where they'll have a nice open southern exposure (assuming people are in the northern hemisphere), and as much eastern an western exposure as possible, as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts