Place that surprised you the most?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Miss Kay, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Miss Kay

Miss Kay Well-Known Member

I'm a homebody country girl so I'm not into traveling but during my career, I had to travel over most of the US. There is one place I would have never visited if I didn't have to and that was DC. After going for work, I loved it so much I wanted to take my husband back for a week. We had a blast and it is now one of my favorite places, although I doubt we will ever go back.

Where have you been that did not live up to your expectations, either in a very good way or very bad way?

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Actually my husband told me to never go to DC because he hated going there every month. After he died I went with a friend and had a horrid time. Could not find a parking place, the down town area was very violent and busy. Just not my cup of tea though I did enjoy seeing the Lincoln monument and having lunch with my late husband friends at the pentagon.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Place I never thought of liking was Chattanooga Tennessee.

Most places I liked. Chicago Illinois wasn't one of them.

big rockpile

4. Kmac15

Kmac15 This is my life

we visited Boston when looking at colleges for our son, could not believe how nice it was. We were able to take public transportation everywhere we wanted to go. Everyone we had contact with was very friendly.

5. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

L.A. surprised me, it was #2 on my list of places in the U.S. I never wanted to visit . I had to go there once for 2 weeks for work and I loved it, been back 3 times since for vacations.

6. snowlady

snowlady Well-Known Member

New York City. Our daughter got to be in the Macy's Parade so the family made it a weeks vacation. Fabulous! And contrary to what you might think, everyone was polite and helpful. One of our favorite people was a cabbie who could barely imagine his own home, let alone a six acre yard!

Irish Pixie likes this.
  7. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I'm sure there are others but just recently...Duluth, MN.
    I'd thought it was a grim, ugly city but it wasn't at all. It was lovely.

8. dmm1976

dmm1976 Well-Known Member

The South. At least Virginia, south and North Carolina, and Georgia.

When we decided to move here from Chicago...which will always have my ❤ ....I just expected it to be this pristine countryside, but it's filthy. Seriously, I see more trash on the roads down here than in the Southside of Chicago! It's crazy. The lakes here have trash floating in them, I almost don't want to eat what we catch when we go fishing.

The people are nice, the weather is amazing, I love these mild " winters"

But the locals really don't give a darn about their environment... I'm picking trash out of my front yard every time I get the mail and I'm on a rural road! And it's even worse on the busy roads.

9. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

Bismarck, North Dakota. Back in the day, my husband's softball team won the NYS championship and the nationals were in Bismarck. Beautiful place, wonderful people.

10. PrairieClover

PrairieClover Well-Known Member

Kentucky was pretty but I didn't care for the overall lack of friendliness from the locals. If people were nice, they were transplants.
    Indiana I didn't care for AT ALL: pollution in the south western area and due to the power plant. Lafayette and Marion areas were not what I had expected at all; and again, the overall lack of friendliness from the locals. Trash on the roadsides. Downtown commercial and business areas that looked shabby. Oh, and in Kentucky we got stared at A LOT, rudely. We are not out of place in clothing, style, looks, etc. So, not sure what was up with that. My kids noticed that most people just seemed unhappy. And the traffic...drivers were beyond rude.
    Love TEXAS

snowlady likes this.
  11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Funny me and my wife came into Texas for her first time in the dark. She looks out the window and says Texas is flat. :eek: :cool:

big rockpile

12. Teej

Teej Well-Known Member

The first time I went to Tucson I thought I'd got off the plane and stepped onto another planet. Nice place to visit but I couldn't live there, I need green grass! LOL

Irish Pixie likes this.
  13. snowlady

snowlady Well-Known Member

Another place I unexpectedly liked was South Dakota. I thought it would be a boring pass thru. Turns out I miss and like the open open open space.

14. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

I loved our honeymoon trip to Germany. It was absolutely beautiful everywhere we went. Couldn't live there though, way way too much government to suit me.

dmm1976 likes this.
  15. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

Rising Sun, Indiana. What a beautiful, peaceful place. Stayed at an old motel on the Ohio River while our kids camped on a church trip nearby.

Teej likes this.
  16. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Gettysburg. To stand right on the bank between Little Round Top and the Devil's Den at the edge of Plum Run Creek and realize that one day the boys in blue and the boys in gray had one thing in common, their blood, which mixed together and ran into the water.

To go west of town to the covered bridge, then come back on Wheatfield road--realizing the lunacy of trying to cross the open field, facing the whole army of big guns and sharpshooters on the overlooking ridges.

To stand among a semicircle of graves and recite the Gettysburg address from seventh grade memory, imagining Abe across the fence of the graveyard.

To then go into town and witness the mass of humanity pouring into the roundabout from US 30, the only road into and out of town--amid the tourist shops, antique shops, restaurants, ghost museums, and trivia shops.

Then to finally turn east and go out side of town to the local Dairy Queen across from the truck salvage yard......

Just about anybody in the world could call it home.

geo

PrairieClover and Irish Pixie like this.
  17. SpringCrkAromas

SpringCrkAromas Well-Known Member

Gatlinburg, Tn. hadn't been there in about 40 years, what a difference. Just a huge tourist trap now.

18. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Kathmandu, Nepal. The juxtaposition between rich and poor was mind boggling.

mnn2501 likes this.
  19. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Same is true for Panama City, Panama. Fantastic new construction all over the city, then a 1 block transition to slums.
    Garbage is picked up in the city and trucked outside of town where its dumped on the side of the road.
    ......and the drivers... I"m a good driver willing to tackle almost anything. (Heck, I drove through Chicago during rush hour 1 week after I got my license at age 16, I've driven in Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Miami, and L.A. with no problems), but I wouldn't even try driving in Panama City. If a driver there has 2 inches to squeeze in, they will.