Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out a Camp Ground and Outfitter by us the IRS just took them over for Back Taxes, been in the family for four generations.

Got 300 acres, Store, Restaurant, Camping and Canoe Rental. There is 42 permanent Residents there that now have to move their Trailers.

Seems the Guy that running the place his Mom was to be paying the Taxes but wasn't.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't figure how they are doing this. The Sheriff is not letting anyone come or go tonight after 5PM until 8AM. This is making a Hardship for people living there, if they have Regular House Trailers there is no way they can get them moved.

big rockpile

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
The IRS is only interested in their money - they certainly don't want a campground - much as a bank wants a house deed to revert back to them for a bad mortgage.

There has to be more to the story, I'm sure they got more than one notice about their unpaid taxes.

I guess once it goes up on the auction block, somebody will end up with a deal.

Doesn't really matter how long it's been in the family. If you don't pay your taxes . . . . . . .

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Hey Rock.....THIS could be the answer to your dreams!!!

Sell your old place to those nasty neighbors and use the money to buy ......

an old campground with a lot of elbow room.

Shouldn't have to worry about anyone

'stepping over the line' and trying to

force you to sell them what you aren't using.

·
Registered
21,248 Posts
The IRS is only interested in their money - they certainly don't want a campground - much as a bank wants a house deed to revert back to them for a bad mortgage.

There has to be more to the story, I'm sure they got more than one notice about their unpaid taxes.

I guess once it goes up on the auction block, somebody will end up with a deal.

Doesn't really matter how long it's been in the family. If you don't pay your taxes . . . . . . .
I'd be interested in the reason they didn't pay the taxes. Were they just refusing to pay them or was there some financial hardship involved? The IRS doesn't care in the end. I fully understand their responsibility to pay the taxes but something about one government agency taking property for failing to pay taxes while other government agencies dole out billions of those same tax dollars to countries that hate us rubs me the wrong way. I saw yesterday that Afghanistan asked us for 1/2 billion dollars because they are broke. They will get it while these people lose their property for not paying taxes which are far less than 1/2 billion I'm sure. And the IRS won't take "I'm broke" for an answer.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok the Kids took the place over evidently their Mom was getting all correspondence on this, they was leaving it up to her to pay the Taxes which she hadn't for years.

This is on the end of what was one of the Best Seasons I've seen. It is just horrible for the area, especially the ones living there full time.

I just went by there, too many Vehicles there to pull in, Sheriff was there, Trailer Movers were pulling in, seen one older couple have everything out on their Porch of their House Trailer loading it up on a Flatbed Trailer. I felt so sorry for them :(

Seems the IRS is going to move their own Trailer in there so they can watch everything until next Spring when it will be auctioned.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be interested in the reason they didn't pay the taxes. Were they just refusing to pay them or was there some financial hardship involved? The IRS doesn't care in the end. I fully understand their responsibility to pay the taxes but something about one government agency taking property for failing to pay taxes while other government agencies dole out billions of those same tax dollars to countries that hate us rubs me the wrong way. I saw yesterday that Afghanistan asked us for 1/2 billion dollars because they are broke. They will get it while these people lose their property for not paying taxes which are far less than 1/2 billion I'm sure. And the IRS won't take "I'm broke" for an answer.
Yes my Mom owed them 1Millon Dollars when she was with the Guy she was married to. He left. They filed Bankruptcy but still had to pay the IRS back.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok New Info. The IRS notified the guy running the place 45 days ago to inform everyone to get their stuff out. He didn't. This is the reason they are giving everyone such short notice. They are giving them until 5PM Today 9/30 to have everything out. They can come back and sue him for loses but won't do any good he won't have anything.

It is Bad up there right now many are very upset and rightfully so, from what I understand there has been several fights.

I have understood the Guy is looking at many other charges not saying until all the details come out.

So far they are saying they will auction everything Nov.14, 2014.

This is one of the Biggest things I've seen around here in years. Only thing come close is a very Good Restaurant burnt because they was cooking Meth in the Basement.

big rockpile

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Well this is what the News Crew got

http://www.ky3.com/n...048998_28341268

big rockpile
++++++++++++++++++++
language. The reporter (Emily Wood) is supposedly an Emmy award
winning journalist, but the title of this story reads like a 5th grader
tried writing it .......:ashamed: That little rule of "i before e, except after c"
doesn't always work out.

"Federal agents :facepalm:sieze:facepalm: campground due to unpaid taxes"

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
LOL cant take it when someone doesn't live by your rules ? Sorry there is no right and wrong when it comes to spelling. just habits and recognition.

Now pull up a beer and lets all commiserate about the IRS together!:buds:

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
A campground and canoe rental on an Ozark river is a money tree. Plus taking in rents year round from permanent "trailer park" residents.

I'm no fan of the IRS, but if you choose to be in business, you choose to deal with them. These people majorly screwed up, then apparently went into denial and thought they could just ignore the IRS. Now they pay the piper and their tenants are collateral damage.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
If the residents call their representatives or senators local office, they can get help. If the trailers in the trailer park are not owned by the land owner they should be able to get their trailers back. The IRS has no right to take property that does not belong to the person that owes the taxes, and they are not only afraid of the members of congress, members of congress get special treatment when they are trying to help constituents.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
Does anyone else notice that the IRS is going to great Pains to destroy the Value of this place?
Leave the residents in place .They are asset and there just isn't a reason to move them, UNLESS you want to devalue the property. They have a claim to the ground they are on for the rest of their leases.
The only one that needs to be moved off the property is the owner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts