Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on tearing out an old stump that is near a fence line, and I found a steel pipe with a hose clamp stuck in the ground near it. What the heck would it be for? It's about 100 feet from my house. Not sure that matters!

It's on the bottom left of the picture. Blends in real good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,755 Posts
Line marker?

Looks like a stainless steel hose clamp. Maybe the local fairies or garden sprites have been using it to hold their beach umbrella.

·
Super Moderator
9,356 Posts
you said it is in a fence line

galvanized pipe ss hose clamp , it is most likely the ground for a fence at some point it's a good idea to have a ground every so often it keeps the shock strong through the animals feet.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you said it is in a fence line

galvanized pipe ss hose clamp , it is most likely the ground for a fence at some point it's a good idea to have a ground every so often it keeps the shock strong through the animals feet.
I never thought about that. There's a newer woven wire fence through there now, and no electric, but I bet there was before the new fence was put in.

Thanks I feel better about jerking it out of the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
That looks like what the surveyors used to mark our property lines with. A pipe in the ground at each corner...

SBJ

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
It's hard to tell what size of pipe it is. What would you estimate the size to be?

If it's along a fence line - it may have been used for a grounding rod. But then again, it could also be an old survey pin.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's hard to tell what size of pipe it is. What would you estimate the size to be?

If it's along a fence line - it may have been used for a grounding rod. But then again, it could also be an old survey pin.
I have not measured it, and I'm not home right now to, but it's pretty heavy. I'm guessing it's 1.5" O.D. and maybe 1.0" I.D.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That looks like what the surveyors used to mark our property lines with. A pipe in the ground at each corner...

SBJ
That was my first thought too. Usually they just mark the corners though in my experience. I was thinking on larger properties maybe they put a pipe in along a long run? I don’t know.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Wonder if the old tree was a bearing or witness tree. Not necessarily at a corner, usually in a property line, used to mark a survey point before GPS....James

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well now you all got me wondering. The guy I bought the place from was a mess about everything and just had said the tree fell down on his fence and he burned it up in the wood boiler.

·
Super Moderator
13,612 Posts
Posted 1/15/21 3:03 AM CST

On my parents farm we found some old era (1930s/1940s) surveyor pipe pins along the long earlier surveyed property lines that had marker plates attached to the side of the surveyor pipe pin with wire clamps instead newer survey era pipe or solid pins that have the yellow plastic survey report number top caps..

Reactions: Whoo

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Posted 1/15/21 3:03 AM CST

On my parents farm we found some old era (1930s/1940s) surveyor pipe pins along the long earlier surveyed property lines that had marker plates attached to the side of the surveyor pipe pin with wire clamps instead newer survey era pipe or solid pins that have the yellow plastic survey report number top caps..
Yes, our farm is the same way. The old surveyor "pins" were old pipes pounded down into the ground. Sticking about 6" - 1' above the ground.

Nowadays, the surveyor uses steel rods, and puts their plastic cap on top of it.

The more I look at it - I think it's a survey pin. Not necessarily a corner pin - it could just be a "middle" pin between the corner pins.

Reactions: Whoo
1 - 14 of 14 Posts