Pipe cutting templets "Saddle"

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Boss Cooker, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

Sure could use some help.
    I'am building a 4" pipe frame cab rack for a semi tractor.
    I need to find a source { free } to download the templets to use laying out the cuts. They are called " Saddle Cuts "
    Does anybody have an idea?
    I can locate them for bucks that I don't have a lot of.
    Thankyou for any creative thoughts.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If you have a bandsaw mark a point on one end and make sure it is absolutely vertical (centered on top). Then cut at a 30 degree angle ending at that spot. Turn pipe over and do same with other side. You can then adjust angle slightly as needed. You may have to do a bit of grinding on the inside of the tips, but should fit fairly snug.

4. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

Working with pipe the cuts need to follow the shape of the cylinder in order to create the perfect cut.
    Don't care for a lot of grinding to make fit.
    Had a four inch Dewalt grinding wheel explode Oct. 1. Now have a thumb and finger that will ring the bell at the airport. Had gloves on too! :goodjob:

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Pulled off another site:

If you're gonna do pipefitting layout of ANY kind, get yourself a copy of "The Pipefitter's and Pipe Welder's Handbook" by Thomas W. Frankland. It'll be the best $20 expenditure you'll ever make on that subject. It will address your question specifically by showing you the "Orange Peel" method of laying out the end of the pipe. This is THE book for pipefitters. I've had my copy for over 25 years. To get a look at the contents, go to Pipefitter.com. This book is said to be one of the reasons that Carhartt put that little pocket on the inside of their welder's jacket. I'm sure there will be a few "Amens" from the congregation about this book.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Did the site I posted above not work?