Pioneer Quest: A Year in the Real West

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, May 19, 2004.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

[​IMG]

Forget all the unrealistic, whiney PBS "House" series specials and get this real survivor series.

Pioneer Quest (click here)

It's a bit spendy, but remember the costs are in Canadian currency, so they're only about 10 bucks a peice....right?

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Yeah, yeah -- but Jamie Browne does a heck of a lot better on "reality history" than those PBS weinies do. he has a whole series -- of which Pioneer Quest was the first -- there is also "Klondike: Quest for Gold" which was about doing the inland hike to the Klondike gold fields; Quest for the Sea, which is about living in an east coast fishing village cut off from all civilization, and Quest for the Bay, in which a group of eight people take a fully loaded (until it tips) York boat from Winnipeg to York Factory on the Hudson Bay.

All of these are serious quality productions -- and the focus of the show is more on the history than the ones done by PBS (IMHO, anyway).

Be sure though, if you order the series that you are getting the original series and not the "library version" which is made for schools and just contains excerpts from each show.

3. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

that quest for the sea really sounds interesting! it was on the east shore of canada? Where at?

Mel-

4. Tracy Rimmer

It was done in Newfoundland -- a place called Hay Cove. They had to handline six tonnes of cod to pay the "company man" at the end of the season -- it was really amazing.

Check it out here:

http://www.historytelevision.ca/questSea/

5. Tracy Rimmer

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Great interview! Northern Soul seems like a neat company, too. I was a canoe consellor/guide when I was a young man and did alot of canoeing, especially in the BWCA. Someday I'd like to canoe the Churchill River to Hudson's Bay.

Thanks for the link....

7. bergere

bergere Just living Life

YA, was not impressed with the PBS ones, either.
    Will check out the link,, sounds interesting.

8. Laurie

Laurie Guest

Thanks for the compliment about the interview with Paul. I decided to register for this forum because it is so interesting to me. I live in a rural route but would love to make the transistion to homesteading. I'm an avid backpacker and canoeist because I just love to get away from everything... it really puts life in perspective. I'd love to do what Frank and Alana did and be a pioneer for a year. They had a really bad time of it and it was difficult to keep things period appropriate sometimes but I'd go in a heartbeat.