Pioneer Life

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by headintodawoods, Nov 8, 2004.

1. headintodawoods

headintodawoods Well-Known Member

Hello my family and I looking to live the pioneer life style in N Central Arkansas. I love to here stories of how people lived or are living that kind of life. You know living with out electricity cooking on wood stoves using draft animals etc...

Anyone have stories, personal or not that you would like to share?

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound discouraging in your asking this question, but the stories you seek are all over this board! Try entering a key word such as "wood stoves" into the search field and you will get lots of good stories. "Lanterns" and "chimneys" and anything else that interests you. Have you been able to find the other specific animal sections on this site?

3. headintodawoods

Yes I have. Thanks, I didn't think of doing the search. Sorry.

4. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks just that way, no electric, no running water, no phones, wood heating, no insulation, and a lot of hard work. It was cold in the winter and hot in the summer but we were up even as small children at 4:00 a.m. to milk the cows before getting ready for school and catch the bus at 7:00 a.m. It taught us good work habits, we were tough kids, and grew to productive adults, but I would never want to go back to that kind of life. I love my conveniences, especially that toilet paper!

5. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

headintodawoods,

No need to be sorry. Being new to the board it sometimes takes time to check out all the functions of the board. There is a plethora of information in the archives. You could spend hours and hours reading that information alone. Then spend more hours and hours posting with more questions and also suggestions. ;)

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll be able to find out a lot from all the knowledgable people here.

6. headintodawoods

Fla Gal

Thanks, I believe there are a lot great people herre that can help my family and I alot.

7. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I too have had dreams of living the "pioneer life"... just dreams though. As others have pointed out, that is not an easy existance with more hard-labour than most of us could cope with. Money is also a big drawback... how do ya make enough to even survive when you're living the pioneer lifestyle?

In society, you seem to have many "extremists"... folks that want to live the pioneer life and folks that want all the latest 'n' greatest. The folks here appear to be more balanced, not pioneers but not stuck on gadgets... somewhat of "the best of both worlds" type thang. I've often wondered why I visit this board as I'm not a homesteader and never have been... perhaps one of the reasons is because I admire, and perhaps seek, the balance that many here appear to have achieved.

cheers,

8. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

Well I am wanting to live the pioneer live but in moderation. I want the farm with all the elect and running water ect. But my dream is to have a small cabin on the back of the property to have pioneer weekends or give a family member a pioneer weekend LOL :haha: I would have done it full time in my 20's or 30's or evern started at 40 but the time has gotten away from me and somehow here I find myself at 46 and how did that happen :eek: I am thinking the last 10 years went way to quick and I don't want to find myself in my 50's without grandkids here all the time because they have to blow dry they hair or do homework on the computer LOL you know what I mean. I just had my first grandbaby and she is the light of my life. My daughter in law's grandma and grandpa just got an inside bathroom about 4 years ago. She said she would never spend the night out there because she was affraid of going to the outhouse at night LOL

9. C and P

C and P Member

That is such an amazing idea! I think I will take it from you to use for myself and my family.

10. headintodawoods

Ozark gal. I think you have a great idea. Moderation is never a bad thing. The dream of the pioneer life is a great one. We would probably have to electricity and running. That I agree with completely. My wife and I want the same thing for our future gandkids as you have for yours. We want our children, 4 of them, and our grandkids to experience that kind of life.

Thanks all of you for your input.