Pinworms

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Nancy in Maine, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

I did a search, but can't find this topic in this forum, so I'll ask: do any of you treat your rabbits for pinworms? My bunny (pet) has been having trouble with soft droppings for a few months. Finally I saw what looked to be a couple of pinworms on a dropping stuck to his butt. Other than the mess, there doesn't seem to be a problem. He doesn't seem to be sick. When I let him out of his cage to run around he runs and plays and does the bunny hop.

Does anyone treat for pinworms? They look like what you'd find on dogs and cats; small, white, rice-like worms. I googled and found one place that said to use piperazine-17, which seems to be a common, cheap wormer.

Anyone?

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Rabbits kept in cages rarely, if ever, need to be treated for pin worms unless it was picked up either on a show table, or as the result of ingesting hay soiled by infected cats and/or dogs. As such, it is the pet bunnies who are allowed to play in areas of which dogs and cats have had access to that are in danger of contracting pin worms.

Piperazine is the drug of choice to use for this purpose with rabbits. If your bunn is regularly allowed out to play in areas as described above, I suggest you institute a regular regime of pin worm treatment, then.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. Nancy in Maine

Thanks for affirming the use of piperazine. They are indoor rabbits, but they get treats like dandelion greens, etc. from outdoors and we live in a neighborhood with numerous dogs and cats. Plus I give them hay daily to munch on, and I don't know where that was grown nor under what conditions. Since I do have the two rabbits, and when allowed out of cages to play (although at different times) they share the same litter box, I'll worm them both. Hopefully that will cure the tummy troubles.

4. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Get an Ivermec paste for horses. Take a toothpick and put just a tiny bit on the end. Put it in the rabbits mouth. This is enough to worm a rabbit every six months. This is what I use and many others in my area. It treats a well rounded list of worms and parasites in your bunny, and it seems to last forever.

5. Nancy in Maine

Thanks for that tip too, natybear. I was at wal-mart last night and thought I'd check to see what active ingredient is in regular dog and cat wormer, but all they had was one kind, for roundworm and hookworms. And it wasn't the piperazine. I'll check with Blue Seal next time I go. These are common items, yes? Or should I be ordering from someplace?

6. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Nancy, I get Piperazine at Blue Seal in Bangor and C&E Feeds in Calais, which is a Blue Seal distributor. It should be easy to find.

7. Nancy in Maine

Oh good! That was the Blue Seal store I was going to check. Thanks!

8. Nancy in Maine

I just wanted to thank you guys and let you know that the piperazine worked like a charm. Happy, clean bunnies once again! I just put some of the paste in the bunnies' water. They drank it over the course of a week, and after that, the problem got better over time.