pint beans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nctoni, Nov 1, 2017.

1. tlrnnp67

tlrnnp67 Well-Known Member

I canned this up tonight.

Zuppa Toscana Soup

1 pound dry cannellini or small navy beans, soaked
    1 medium onion, coarsely diced
    3 stalks celery, sliced
    1 small bunch of fresh thoroughly washed kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces
    1 pound Italian sausage, browned
    3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced into ¾ to 1 inch cubes
    Real bacon bits
    Minced garlic
    Red pepper flakes
    Canning salt
    Pepper
    2 quarts chicken stock

Prepare 6 pint jars with lids and rings for canning.

Layer the following in each jar:
    1/3 cup beans**
    1/3 cup onion
    1/3 cup celery**
    1/3 cup loosely packed kale
    1/3 cup sausage
    1/3 cup potatoes
    3 finger pinch of bacon bits (around 1 tsp)
    ½ clove minced garlic (around 1 tsp)
    ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
    ¼ tsp canning salt**
    ¼ tsp black pepper
    Pack everything down tightly to fit, as the kale will take up a lot of space until it is cooked in the canning process. Top each jar off with chicken stock to 1 inch head space. Remove bubbles, wipe rim of jar, and set hot lids in place. Tighten rings to finger-tip tight.

Process in pressure canner for 75 minutes at 15 pounds of pressure, or according to your altitude.

When serving, warm gently with cream or half and half as well as extra chicken stock if needed for desired consistency.

**Hints: Wash that kale very well. Sand likes to hide in the curly leaves. The beans and celery are optional and not usually in zuppa Toscana soup, but I like the extra protein of the beans and the flavors, so I added them. I usually add ½ tsp salt per pint or 1 tsp per quart for flavor in things I can, but since the chicken stock was salted already, I cut the salt in half. If your pressure canner has empty spaces, fill them with extra plain beans, meat, or anything that requires the same processing time.

nctoni likes this.