PINKEYE update...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Well, I went out and was looking at everyone. It rained a lot so many of them were across the pasture, on the other side of the branch that runs through. They weren't wanting to cross the water. Funny animals!! Anyway, I just had a feelings. They were all laying out underneath the shade trees. I went out to assess them and found that every Saanen on the place has pinkeye. My new Nubian doe has it. My buck definently has it. We had just put him out after having him in the barn for over a month with hoof scald and proud flesh. He still has a hole in the bottom of his hoof where the flesh was and there isn't any hoof material grown over it yet. So, we were beginning to see the light and look forward to a productive breeding season and now this. So, he is back in seclusion. No way he is breeding anything until he gets better. He isn't in rut like many other boys are. So, we moved all the goats up to the corral which is much smaller and easier to treat so many at once. We are just using a diluted vinegar wash to clean out the eyes and wash the faces. Most of them aren't in horrible shape. We just have the one in the barn that you can't see her eyes anymore. They are completely white. She's blind as a bat. If any others get like that, they'll go in the barn too but I think it is better if they stay out. They have plenty of shade. Plus, they haven't left those new round bales since we put them out!! If any others get to where they are losing their sight, I'll bring them in the barn. I'm hoping they don't all get like that. I'd hate to have 30 blind goats running around. Now I have 3 goats in the other lot that don't have pinkeye but they are jumping the fence and getting in the corn field...not to eat the corn but to eat the weeds that border it. So, we have to move them over to where the pinkeye goats are. Ughhh!!! I am completely fed up. When we decided to raise goats, I had read somewhere that they were really hardy animals and easy keepers. We have worked and worked and played doctor almost the entire time we've had them. Tell me this gets better!! He is about to get rid of them all!! I really love my goats but he is right. This is outrageous. I just want them to get better. I feel sorry for them and there isn't much I can do. We just put up 150 bales of nice alfalfa hay for the winter so at least we have food for them. :shrug: I have to believe that starting a herd...you are going to see some stuff like this. I just wanted to give you all an update. It doesn't sound like I'm the only one who has dealt with this sort of thing. Thanks for all your help.

2. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I really feel for you Honey. I am also wanting to raise goats also whenever we get our land but I would be lost at what to do for them myself. That's one reason I want to buy land with other homesteaders. So there will be someone around to teach me what I don't know how to do, and boy the more I read on this site, the dummer I see I am.
    I had a pair of males about ten years back, but they were just pets for my daughters and they drove me crazy. I couldn't keep them pinned up to save my butt. I looked out the window one morning to find them standing on my neighbors cars across the road. That didn't go over well, lol.
    Maybe that is why I call myself the dummest smart person I ever seen.
    Good luck with them. I hope it will clear up for you.

3. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Get some triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin (i use the store or generic brand) and put a dab in each eye of the goats who have pink eye. Since this has been going on for some time, I'd treat them 2 X a day. Even treat the one you say is blind now. This is reversible as long as there is no damage to the cornea. Don't waste time using diluted vinegar, since it obviously isn't working and running the risk of more goats going blind. Pink eye is an infection and should be treated with an antibiotic. Some people use an antibiotic salve like Terramycin Eye Ointment, but when I treated two of my goats that had pink eye with triple antibiotic ointment (a big tube of Neosporin is not that expensive and the generic brand even less), the pink eye was gone in 3 days, but I continued the treatment for 7 days total just to be sure. If this is an advanced stage it may take 7-10 days in your case to clear up the eyes. Don't stop just because you see an improvement. You have to keep treating it until it is completely gone. Same with giving them shots of LA200 injectible. One shot won't work. You need to treat for at least 4 days. In my case, I caught it early and the eye ointment alone did the trick. If yours have had this for some time, you may have better success treating with both eye ointment and shots of LA200.

4. TerryJ

TerryJ Well-Known Member

I have had pink eye in a couple of goats. Vet said do put a drop of straight penicillin in each eye two times a day until they clear. Works really well, for the ones that are really bad...also give them 1cc shot of penicillin in the muscle plus the drops in the eye. Pink eye is usually spread by flies.

5. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

That is true...Pinkeye is caused by bacteria and flies spread the bacteria from goats to other goats.

"Pinkeye generally runs it course in a couple of weeks. Left untreated it can cause some permanent damage - that's why it is important to treat it daily until all the signs disappear."

"If the eye has ulcerated (colored part of the eye has risen outward from the surface of the eyeball), Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Opthalmic Ointment (Triple Antibiotic Opthalmic Ointment) is the required medication. Although a long name, this is a single medication available through your veterinarian. Triple Antibiotic Opthalmic Ointment is not an item that every vet keeps in stock, so maintain a supply in your emergency inventory. Opthalmic ointments are relatively expensive, but there is no substitute for them. Apply this ointment a minimum of twice a day until the goat can see and the cloudiness/ulceration is gone. The goat may lose its eyesight completely for a period of time, but if properly treated (even if ulceration has occurred), sight will usually return, albeit sometimes only partially. It is not unusual for a white smudge of a scar to remain on the eyeball after the ulceration has healed."

BTW, the Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Opthalmic Ointment mentioned above are the EXACT same ingredients and strength (dosage) as that in the generic form of Neosporin. However the tube you get from the vet contains only 1/4 oz. while neosporin or the store brand is a full ounce tube at 1/3 the price.

I have also heard of flushing the eyes daily with salt water. If you have a stubborn case, perhaps rinse out the eyes with salt water prior to putting in the triple antibiotic ointment.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pinkeyeingoats.html

6. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help and words of encouragement. I need all I can get!! Some say don't treat cuz its viral and it won't matter and antibiotics won't work and might destroy their rumens. Some say you have to use antibiotics or you won't get rid of it, they goats might go blind and possibly die. I'd really love a textbook answer to the situation but I'm beginning to think that everybody just has their own method of waiting out the illness. I'm so discouraged right now. We try something and it doesn't work and the next day they are that much worse. So, everyday we are guessing what to do and saying, "I don't know, what do you think?" Back and forth, we do that. One of our does is now ulcerated. I'm afraid her eyeball is going to pop and then I'm really going to die. She's pregnant and bagging up too. What a nightmare.

7. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

May I ask what ever happened to your goats? I found one of my mothers blind as a bat. His eyes were completely white with rid circles. After reading several posts I gave him 4 cc of LA200 and also squirted it in his eye. Did yours ever get their sight back?

8. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

I wonder where you are located?
    There are rumors of a mutated form of pinkeye in our area (PA) that was reportedly introduced by a large number of goats imported from Mexico.This strain is transmitted via airborne and migrates from the eyes to the lungs and can cause death. I can't remember all I heard about it, but as far as I am concerned it is still a rumor. Everyone has been told to watch for it, quarantine, and call a vet as soon as any signs appear.
    Not trying to be scary here,...
    but has anyone else heard of this? :shrug:

9. Heidi's_Goats

Heidi's_Goats Well-Known Member

Two years ago I discovered my doe had white eyes. It happened overnight. Calls to all the vets in the city and noone would treat her. Even called the local goat group president. They didn't know what to do. Thankfully it cleared up all by itself within a week.

I suspect it was caused by the new bale of hay I spread out for their bedding. Maybe there was some bacteria lurking in it.

10. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I put salt in their eyes. Just put plain table salt on the palm of your hand and blow it into their eyes once or twice a day for a few days. I used the same thing for myself and my children when we got it- strong saline solution. It works.

11. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Milk n Honey -
    It hasnt been too long since I had a bad case of pinkeye with one of my does. In fact, she is due to kid within the next week. I was really worried about her. It took almost 3 weeks for her to get totally over it. Her eyes had gone to total white. I think due to the fact that I caught it in her, isolated her quickly, and kept a watch on the rest of the girls, we didnt get it through the whole little herd. I really feel for you.
    I strongly recommend using the antibody ointment in the eyes. I went through 3 tubes, if the other goats eyes started to run I would put the ointment in their eyes. (2x a day) If I was you I would put ointment in every eye out there, even the few that dont show signs of the pinkeye. My doe that was so bad got 5 days of LA200 shots, sub-q, once a day. I believe that really helped her out. I hand cut her lots of greens, several times a day, and kept her in a really small stall. She was soooo blind.
    Do treat them with the antibody ointment, I have read that the eyes can even rupture. Be sure to use a seperate tube for any goats that dont have the pinkeye, and that way you cannot transfer the disease from one to another.
    Best of luck to you, hang in there, it will get better!

12. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't worry about a little bit of antibiotic salve in the eye upsetting the rumen but you could always give them a dose of probiotics each day for insurance.

13. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Salt in the eyes works great, and if left untreated the eye can bust wide open.

I would say that it is in the hay. They eat a hole in the bail and the dust gets into there eyes.

bumpus

14. AnniesGoats

AnniesGoats Well-Known Member

For pink eye, I use Spectam Scour Halt, which is an antibiotic in liquid form. It works better for me than any ointment. A few squirts in the affected eye, twice the first day, once a day afterwards, for about a week, and the pink eye has always cleared itself in my herd.

One of the worst cases of pink eye that I had on the farm would not clear with ointment. I thought the doe was going blind. No ointment worked, nothing at all. Someone told me about the Scour Halt treatment. It worked. I saw an improvement within a day.