Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this goat from a friend. It looked fine. Brought it home and in a few
days I noticed that the goat was blind(I thought), Another friend came and
I said to him look what I bought a blind goat. He said no that's pinkeye.
O K what must I do? He said to put La 200 in the eyes. I did for days it cleared up some but not all. Even tho my other goats are not in with this one my Sadie had it too. Well, tried to treat her. Been treating both for 2 weeks and they still have it. I even ordered terrimiciam(?) for Jeffers. Nothing has gotten rid of it. I read where vinegar and water sprayed in the eye helps. Hey I also got this yellow powder from the Co Op and it says it works. can anybody tell me what else to do. I feel so sorry for them. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I have not found that yellow powder to be effective once they have a strong case of pinkeye. I wouldn't torment them with that stuff. I have used the LA200 as a shot. I expect it's going to take time to clear up no matter what you do.
mary

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also just read every 3 days a shot of La200 (3Ml per 100 lbs) I only gave mine 1 cc. So I guess it wasn't enough. I only gave shots this evening guess I go back and add 2cc more. Think I should?? Maybe this will help. I didn't want to give too much.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mary I'll go now and do that.
I just went and gave the shots to equal 3cc of LA200.
Boy, do these goats hate me. I so sorry for them but there is nothing
else to do. let you all know what happens. thanks so much for the help on this. I need all the help I can get.

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
I went through this a couple of months ago. One sister beat up the other and a few days later she ended up with pink eye. Her mom kept rubbing outside the pen and she got it as well. Thankfully they were the only two to get it.
Anyway I put them both in the pen. Gave them LA 200 shots. Did not know at the time it burns :grump: . Since I did not have a truly dark area in a barn to put them in, I patched their eyes with Neosporin on it. I got a piece of black felt from the Icky-Mart for less than 30 cents. I cut it much larger than it needed to be and put the neosprin on it and then around the edge of the patch I put windshield glue, stuck it on them and left it alone.
Yes nasty ooze ran out of the bottm and etc. But the pink eye cleared up after a few days. The cataracts on the other hand took about 2 to 3 weeks to go away. So I had to re-patch when it fell off. Flies can spread it and so can rubbing up against things. So I would keep them isolated. Plus wash your hands as well as anyone else who goes near them. It is very contageous.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a problem with this last summer. It spreads fast from goat to goat. I wound up treating 6 goats and two looked like they had gone blind. I was told to use the LA200 directly in the eye. I used a syringe (without the needle) and twice a day squirted it into the eyes. After about 4 days they started clearing up and now they look fine.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
LA200 shots. It's the only way to get systemic kill of the pinkeye. In the eye just gets the bugs that are there.

Once the infection is gone, she needs to be kept in a dark area of the barn while the eyes heal. Darkness will keep the cataracts from becoming permanent, and keep her more comfortable. You can make eye patches for her to block light, and affix them with auto weatherstrip adhesive to the hair of the face. They sell these for cows, and you can see the concept here: http://www.pinkeye.com/ If she has it in both eyes and is really blind, just keep her up in the dark.

Most where the eye has not ruptured regain their site. The LA200 will kill the infection with ONE shot at full dose, but it takes time for the damage to be healed after that. No need for further treatment with LA200, in the eye or by shots.

If you can find a salve with calendula in it at an herb store, you can use that around the eyes to promote healing. I have also used neosporin ointment like that, with no ill effects.

To prevent pinkeye, practice good fly control and keep pasture grasses trimmed.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
It's been awhile since mine have had it. I forgot about the sunlight thing. I used to milk my does facing into the sun and wonder why it irritated their eyes. :rolleyes: Sun and wind will both irritate infected eyes. If you can keep them in the barn for awhile, that will be a help.
mary

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
mary, I'll bet your goats spend very little time loafing in the barn or gathered at watering areas, where flies gather. I'll bet you have adequate pastures for them so they can space out as they naturally would. I'll bet your pasture's seed stems are trimmed down by grazing or clipping.

My goats never get pinkeye, and those are the reasons why.

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
I have some concerns about a note I read from the fiascofarm website in regards to pinkeye:

This bacterial infection is a major cause of abortion in goats. If a doe gets is exposed to Chlamydia, even if she never show actual signs of Chlamydia, the doe will abort the next time she gets pregnant if she is not treated.
I had a brief problem with pinkeye in two does. I got it cleared up with OxyTetracycline drops in their eyes (after using another pinkeye remedy which initially worked, but came back in one doe a second time). BUT I didn't give OxyTet shots. Does this mean that although the pinkeye cleared up, it is still in their system and they will abort if I breed them? They are not bred right now.

Should I give them a shot of Oxy and if so, how many times? ie, over the course of several days or weeks?

AND I have never given a goat a shot in my life (I have given a dog an insulin shot before). Is there any good links on how to do this properly?

Thanks!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I couldn't say if there would be a problem when they're bred - I don't think so, if the infection has cleared up, but you might want to ask a vet. :shrug:

As for giving shots - that's easy enough, if someone holds the goat for you! Rubbing alcohol is a good idea for cleaning the injection site first. For subcutaneous, grasp the skin and pull up a little "tent" so the skin is away from the muscle below, and insert the needle through the skin - careful you don't go out the other side though! (I had an old cat that needed subQ fluids and I did that once or twice :rolleyes: ) Behind the neck, over the withers is one good spot, or in the "armpit" of their front leg.

For intramuscular injections, find a nice muscular place - I usually give in the hindquarters - insert the needle, pull back on the plunger to make sure you haven't hit a blood vessel, then give the injection.

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
Thanks, pooks! PS> It wasn't your goat with the problems----once again, my little one that had the burst salivary gland. She just seems to find all the troubles! LOL Actually, the second time around she didn't actually seem to get a full-blown case of pinkeye, but had a bit of crustiness, so to catch anything developing, I started right in on the OcyTet.

Ok, the "skin only" shots wouldn't be an issue then, those muscular ones on the other hand. Just the thought of injecting into a muscle. Creepy.

I never really paid much attention to the vet when he gives shots, guess I will pay attention more next time. ;) And maybe get some advice on how to give intramuscular shots.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
If it hasn't cleared up yet, I got an eye infection about a month ago when some moldy grass clipping dust blew into my eye. I tried for a week to clear it up, just hoped it would go away, but it didn't. Finally I went to the old standby, salt. Boiled water, put salt in, washed the eye out with the brine (after it cooled down). Did it burn? Yes, it did, especially with the eye being sore already. Tell ya what though, it was so worth it. After just one application the eye cleared right up within a day or two. It had been bad enough that I was thinking about seeing a doctor.

It works on goats too.

I wouldn't do the vinegar water, that sounds like it could be harmful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.