Pink thing??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BiGtImEfArMeRs4, Feb 23, 2005.

1. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Okay, we have a boer goat due to kid any day now. She has milk, and the one side of her bag is starting to fill up completely. She has a pink thing that keeps coming out of her vaginal that only comes out when she lays down. She has a little pink thing coming out the other hole too. That one is not very big. The other one is pretty far out sometimes. My question is what is this? Will she have her babies alright, because of that? Will it go away? How do you treat it?
    Thanks in advance!
    Lori

2. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is vaginal and rectal prolapse. I have never experienced this with my does. I would definitely be there for delivery as you will probably have to reinsert the vaginal wall before and after kidding. You may want to do a search in the goat section to see if others have had any experience and how to deal with it.

Hopefully others will have more specific advice on how to handle this just as delivery is getting close.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would have a vet, come and check this out. you caould have lots of trouble with this at kidding, not to mention infections, it just isn't worth loosing a doe or babies over, get a vet.

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

I thought that I replied last night but I don't see it so I will try again. If you get two similar replies, I apologize.

As doe gets older and the number of kiddings increases, she may appear to bulge or extend out in the rear more when she lays down. It is quite often pink in Boers also. This doesn't really seem to quite fit what you are describing though.

A prolapse will probably appear like a bubble or a ball in the rear. Perhaps a better way to describe it would be shaped like an apple. There will be an "indent" where the cavity opening is much like the indent on an apple where the stem attaches. A prolapse is not necessarily a reason for a high level of concern. The prolapse will generally go away after she kids. You could have her stitched to hold it in, but then you almost have to live with her 24/7 so that you can remove the stitch when she kids. There are "harnesses" designed for sheep because a prolapse is much more common in sheep. I have never used one so information about this would have to come from some one familiar with it.

A consultation with your vet would be a good idea to verify exactly what it is. Then you and your vet could decide what your protocols should be.

We had an older goat who had kidded many times and quite often gave us quads. Beginning about two weeks before kidding, she would prolapse whenever she would lay down and it would be the size of a large grape fruit. When she got up, it would return to a more normal appearance. It was so big that it would touch all of the surroundings where she could possibly pick up some infection. The only thing that we ever did was give her an antibiotic shot as a preventative when it started and then enjoyed all of the kids that she gave us.

I hope that this helps a little.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

5. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

rhjacobi, okay well this doe is not very old and this is her second kidding. your descripiton i have put in quotes really sounds like what our doe has. so if that is what it is, there is nothing to worry about, and she should kid okay? thanks so much!!

elly_may, thanks, i have went out and found one that was sorta similar to this one. thanks so much!!!

debitaber, if she does not get better after kidding or seems to get worse, then we will probably contact a vet. thanks!!

Thanks to everyone!!!
    Lori