Pink eye?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by fishhead, Sep 17, 2006.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Yesterday I noticed that one of my wether's had an eye closed. Today the eye is open but cloudy looking.

This is the same wether who had the nasty looking reddish purple eye a month or so ago. I think it was the other eye then. It was nasty looking but completely normal looking in 2-3 days. I thought it was a horn injury but someone suggested a weed seed or some other particle.

Could this be pink eye?

None of the other 12 goats have had any eye problems.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Sounds like pink-eye. The thing that worked best for me was giving them a shot of LA-200 everyday for 3 days. You can also get some in the syringe, remove the needle & drop a couple of drops right into the eye. Pinkeye will not necessarily affect every goat.

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Boric acid in boiled water eyewash works, too.

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the help.

The other eye was back to normal in 2-3 days and this one looks opaque and not red. If it doesn't return to normal by mid-week I'll try to grab the wether and treat. As it turns out this is one of those "wild" wethers that wasn't bottle trained so is hard to capture and hold.

If I get goats again next year I'm only going to get bottle weaned. They are so much easier.