Pink Banana Squash

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Leah IL, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

Can someone tell me when these are ready? They are just huge right now, but I read somewhere to leave them on the vine until first frost. I only planted them at the end of June. They are about 2 1/2 feet long and really fat!

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I grew some this year, don't wait for the stem to turn brown. I started picking them when they got about 1 1/2 feet long. They tasted great and large meat on them. I liked to grill them on the barbacue with seasonings. If the seeds were too big just scoop them out. shadowwalker

3. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

It actually depends on what you want to do with them. If you want to eat them right away you can pick them anytime that they turn from yellow to pink. If you want to store them for winter use, you will need to leave them on the vine until the vine dies back, or until the first frost, whicher comes first, no matter how big they get. After you harvest them, you'll want to leave them in a warm, dry place, I use my garage, so the skins "season" or harden up. It usually only takes two weeks. THen, put them in your root cellar or where ever you winter over produce. They will last for 6 months this way.