Pinion Bearing....

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Traci Ann, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Traci Ann

Traci Ann Domestic Engineer

What are the signs that this is going out?

Our Dodge B350 1990 Ram van is whining and now has some sort of leaking on the rear passenger brake. The shop we called seamed to think that this could be the problem.

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Rear differentials have 3 different types of bearings. They have pinion bearings (frt and rear) differential carrier bearings (2 left and right) and axle bearings (2 left and right). The pinion bearings carry the pinion gear in the housing, the pinion is the gear the driveshaft drives. The carrier bearings carry the differential case and ring gear inside the housing. The axle bearings are out near the wheel and carry the axle in the housing. This is on a standard light duty rear end. On a heavy duty rear end (which you may have because it is a 350 series or 1 ton truck) which is a full floating type axle, the end of the axle housing is machined and there are 2 bearings in each brake hub and a seal which ride on the axle shaft housing, so the weight of the vehicle is actually on the housing and not on the axle shaft. Are you with me so far?

If a pinion bearing makes noise it will be more pronounced on accelleration or decelleration delending on whether it is the frt. pinion bearing or the rear pinion bearing. If a carrier bearing or an axle bearing makes noise it will be the same accel or decel but will change on turns due to one wheel loading harder and one turning faster going around turns. If there is gear oil leakage at a wheel unto the brakes it is most likely a seal in the hub or on the axle depending on which style rearend you have. If enough oil has leaked out there could be bearing damage due to low fluid level. It's just a matter of determining what the whine is.

3. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

It could just be a brake fluid leak-probably from the cylinder but hopefully from a loose fitting or cracked line. If it is a seal leaking at the hub just pull the wheels(if duals), the axle flange bolts, axle nuts(careful not to damage the washer between the nuts),bearing, and remove the hub. Whatever the problem is will be easy to see/remedy. The bearing may be the problem and has let the hub get loose enough to damage the seal. If the axle housing is damaged there is a kit available from some manufacturers to patch it up. Hope it is a simple problem--let us know,wc

4. Traci Ann

Pronounced whine upon acceleration. No whine unless in gear and moving. No more pronounced whine when turning. No fluid leakage on left rear only right rear.

How would one determine the type of rear end?

On the positive note after this it should run forever - money guzzling van (sigh)!

5. scott

scott Well-Known Member

end seals on the axle have gone south and leaking rear end fluid down into your brake drums... get some fluid in your rear end now ... get the seals replaced. I have one of our old company vans, it's on it's third rear-end.

I caught the problem because the lining was eaten off my rear pads.

6. Traci Ann

We have added fluid. So what kind of $$ are we looking at? We JUST - like 2 weeks ago - had the tranny rebuilt! OUCH.

2 house payments and adoption are making things VERY tight! However can't move out of state to our farm until adoption is complete.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Is the whine on accel only and quiets noticeably on decel?
    Pop a hubcap and look at the rear wheel. The wheel should be retained by 8 lug nuts. In the center of the rear wheel is there a protrusion that has bolts around it? If so then you have a floater rear, good for heavy loads, slightly more expensive to repair. If the center of the wheel doesn't have the protrusion with bolts it is just a light duty rear.

8. Traci Ann

Yes it is still there on decel, but much quieter.

I will have dh look, but he was sure it was a 1 ton heavy duty rear end.

9. Traci Ann

DH said he cannot hear it at all upon decel... It is a heavy duty as well - It has the protrusion.

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

OK, you have a heavy duty most likely Dana rearend in that truck. If it does make the noise mostly on accel and then diminish on decel there is a good chance it is a pinion bearing.
    I just reread all of your posts, I see you just had the trans rebuilt. Is there any chance the whining you hear is coming from the trans? I always look to the last repairs before condemning something new.

11. Traci Ann

I don't think it could be the tranny. We heard the whine before it went out, but are still hearing the same.