Pines What Did I Do Wrong?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Dec 19, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok went on the back side of my property.Mostly Mature Timber.I planted Wite Pines in there.This is on the North side of a hill.

Well seems most of them died after 3 years,some are still alive but stunted.

Do you think being in with the Older Trees,Deer,or both is my problem?

big rockpile

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Deer love white pine. Did you bud cap the seedlings?

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you planted the pines under an understory of heavy shade from larger trees do not expect the small pine to thrive.

4. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Pines are vulnerable the first 2 years.
    The deer probably ate them up, and will probably come back for more.
    Got a big freezer?

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

getting dry during the early growth, especially for transplants, can be devestating. maybe they dried out once or twice.

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I had deer get a couple of my seedlings. But my biggest problem came from red harvester ants. They will tear off every single green needle, and march them back to their nests.

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Check to see if the buds are bitten off. White pines need a soil fungus for the best chance of surviving.

Also, when you plant it's important to be sure the root goes down and isn't tangled around the main root. Otherwise it will choke itself in a few years.

8. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

agmantoo nailed it....you can't plant pine in under heavy overgrowth ( mature timber ) and expect many to live or thrive. They need at least some open sky part of the day.

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i have lots of healthy naturally seeded pines and spruce under a heavy canopy. it is a seasonal canopy as they grow under poplar. if he has planted them under mature evergreens, then they may not get sunlight in the winter like my pines do.

i think initial root growth may have been inhibited by lack of moisture. i have had several transplant failures due to drought conditions. i planted in full afternoon sun, but had dry weather that killed the young pines and spruce. they don't root as deep as trees like oak, maple and poplar. since the shallow root system is still underdeveloped, it is very susceptible to dry conditions.

10. big rockpile

Well we've had drought.But I don't think this is my problem.I've got a few hundred planted on the rest of the property.Their growing about 2 foot a year.With them the ones the Deer have killed are resprouting.

I'm thinking their just not getting enough light.I thought this would be good and keep the ground moist.But I guess I was wrong.

The Local Forester has talked me into planting more Shortleaf Pine.Like he says they are more natural to the area.

big rockpile

11. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

12. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

You should see what the ice storm did the other day to all our short leaf pine--white pine just bowed their heads till ice was gone.

13. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Rockpile, are you sure you planted them well? Little pine seedlings can be very tempermental about how they were planted. Pull some up and look at the roots. Are they J rooted? Were they planted too deep or too shallow? Was an air pocket left in the bottom of the hole. It could be a pest problem, but I would suspect myself first.
    It helps to have the proper tools when planting tree seedlings. Buy a hoedad. Dibbles tend to leave an hour glass shaped hole that promote air pockets.

14. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Rockpile, are you sure you planted them well? Little pine seedlings can be very tempermental about how they were planted. Pull some up and look at the roots. Are they J rooted? Were they planted too deep or too shallow? Was an air pocket left in the bottom of the hole. It could be a pest problem, but I would suspect myself first. Also , on many days, it only takes seconds for the root hairs to dry up too much for good survival. You pretty much have to keep them wet till you stick them in the ground.
    It helps to have the proper tools when planting tree seedlings. Buy a hoedad. Dibbles tend to leave an hour glass shaped hole that promote air pockets.
    Sorry for your troubles in that area. It takes alot of time and effort to plant that many trees, and sucks when you have a bad survival rate. I feel your pain :D

15. big rockpile

Well I only had about a hundred Trees planted there.

I've got about 500 hundred planted on the rest of the property with no problem.I've found if they get about 3 years old and the Deer or bugs kill them they resprout pretty good.If I see a problem with Bugs I sray them,one application usually takes care of them.

big rockpile

16. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought deer hated pine trees? :shrug:

17. big rockpile

They like Pines and really like White Pines.

big rockpile

18. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Deer love white pine and fir trees. The reason you bud cap white pine seedlings is to keep the deer from eating the terminal bud.

19. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Lotsa Vitamin C and goodies in the pine buds... Goats will strip them too.

Especially PINE NEEDLES. Goats will eat them until they can't anymore...

Deer are just salt-water goats...