Pine trees

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by giffy, Nov 25, 2006.

1. giffy

giffy Waterfowl hobbyist

I have a few Blue Spruce trees that seem to have a tough time in the wind, root system seems to shallow. I have tried building up the soil around them but as they get larger and the wind hits them more, I can see that eventually I am going to lose them. I want to start planting a few new pine trees (hoping to get a couple in before winter)......I am wondering what types withstand the wind the best and do any have a deeper root system.

As always.....thanks!
    giffy

-------------
    GiffsFarm

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

maybe the best strategy is strength in numbers. one tree will gain a benefit from the windbreak of another. perhaps you should plant a stand of trees.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

White spruce are much better in the wind than blue spruce. The problem of trees blowing over is caused mainly by shallow roots. That in turn can be caused by growing them in a "wet" area where the lack of air can cause the roots to be shallow. Water does another thing in that it causes the top growth to take off and the roots may not have a chance to catch up to the top growth. Wet seasons, like winter or spring and heavy wet snows or wind can be deadly to trees. Unfortunately high winds and heavy wet snows are a yearly occurance in the north. White pines are more tolerant of soils and wind. Another choice might be Concolor, or white fir.