pine tar soap

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by antiquestuff, Nov 20, 2004.

1. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

2. All country

All country Well-Known Member

I can't tell you about the soap yet, but the shampoo is great!
    We ordered some from Lehmans. I am getting ready to order 2 more cases of it.
    We have only used only quality shampoos or a home made bar soap I make. We are really picky about what we use on our hair. This stuff left our hair soft, silky, and clean smelling. I had a few sores on my scalp that wouldn't go away. One shampooing & they were gone. It seems a bit expensive when you see the small bottle, but it takes a very small amount to do the job. I have very thick, long hip length hair. My 3 daughters also have long, thick hair. A bottle lasted us almost 2 weeks & we shampoo daily.

I hope someone can tell how to make it. I would love to try my hand at making it.

3. deb

deb Well-Known Member

I buy Grampa's Pine Tar Soap bars at the Amish general store near our house. We use it as soap and as shampoo. It helps DH keep his dandruff under control and I find that it works for my "normal" hair as well.

Grampa's Pine Tar soap bars are a commercially made soap...made in huge batches under perfect "soapmaking" conditions so "reproducing" them in a cold process soap is going to take some work. Why don't you buy a bar of Grampa's Pine Tar Soap to see if you like it and it works well for you before you try to copy it?

deb
    in wi

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

the local HEB grocery store use to carry it...

I only use it for the smell...it reminds me of 'oakum', the natural fiber material used to chink log cabins, and using it carries me back to wilderness cabin days (Calgon, take me away)

I would love to be able to reproduce the Pine Tar soap at home.....

Phil

5. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

I make it. It's a little tricky, because the pine tar causes the mix to saponify and thicken much quicker than usual, but it works well in hand stirred batched (as opposed to using the blender). I make a simple lard, pine tar, water and lye recipe.

6. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your input. It looks like I will buy some to try soon. Store bought soap, with all the chemicals in it, is awful on my hands! :waa: I only asked about making it since $2.95 a bar isn't cheap (I guess I'm just cheap!), but if it's too hard, I won't bother wasting the supplies. I've already got tallow, and sometime soon intend to make lye soap, but with the small batch of tallow I did this last time, I'll just mold some candles with it.
    Thanks again! :)

7. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

If you PM me your home address I will mail you for free some of my home made pine tar soap. I have some left over from last years and will gladly send you some. Pine tar soap is tricky to make because it sets up really really fast as soon as you add the pin tar to the soap mix. I have had to rebatch every time I make it. Oh yes my base is goat milk soap that I add pine tar to. The soap is about 20% pine tar. Some I made especially for my sister was 30% pine tar.