Pine Sap Getter-Offer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heather, Jul 23, 2005.

1. heather

heather Well-Known Member

We're building in a white pine stand, so we come home every night covered from head to toe (literally - I had some in my hair last night - yuck)

I've been desperate for a good home remedy

I was told to use toothpaste (not sure about rubbing that all over me!) or Pam spray!

I used the Pam spray (store brand!) and it worked like a charm - I guess it was the oil

Any other Pine Sap Getter-Offer ideas??

THANKS!!

2. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

Never thought of using cooking spray but I will give it a try.

My goats love pine bark. They come back from the woods covered in pine tar. Wonder if this stuff works on goats.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

Why WD40 of course.

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Butter . . . not margarine, Butter!

5. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I use rubbing alcohol on the kids after they have been climbing in our big pine tree. Works great.

Sylvar

6. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Yeah, butter, and also any kind of cooking oil...

WD40 and other petro oils would work, I'd use it on myself but not any animals...I had a nice breeder rabbit die after I shaved him (he was a Jersey Wooly) and the clipper leaked oil on him...and I didn't think it would hurt him...sigh...he must have tried to lick it off.

7. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Rubbing alcohol always worked for me. Ahh ... the thought of being coated with pine sap reminds me of my childhood and the pines around my folks' house.

Ann

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

WOW we have been clearing 40 acres of lodgepole and fir and to think each night i come in covered in sap and just scrub it off with one of those green scrubby things OUCH, think i will be trying the pam tomorrow! thanks ya'all!!

9. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

at various times i have used WD-40, baby oil, mineral oil, and lighter fluid (not all at once, mind you) with success.

10. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I think the cooking spray would work on your goats - it worked in my hair & I have long hair - it was a mess & it came right out!

I guess I'd rather use the cooking spray than rubbing alcohol

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

What about coating up with a really moisturizing body lotion before you go out?

12. timmcentire

timmcentire Active Member

When we were kids, we did a lot of pine tree climbing. Got lots of sap on our hands. When we got down out of the trees, we'd just pull up a lot of green grass and start rubbing it in our hands. It always seemed to take that sap right out.

13. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

Wish this post was around last week when my brother accidentally got nasty pine sap in my long locks...dang, that hurt trying to get it out!

14. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

If all else fails, fingernail polish remover works, but it is harsh!

15. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

the best is a green tomato. if you have a garden just cut a green tomato and rub it on, then wash it off. It realy works great with tobacco gum when priming tobacco. and it is free.

16. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Here is something easy to use, and works great. Plus comes off your hands easier than other things....laundry detergent.
    Whenever we or the kids get sap on our hands we just sprinkle laundry detergent in our palm and put a little water on it and scrub our hands. The sap comes right off (and makes our hands smoother, lol)

17. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Peanut butter works well - so I imagine any sort of food grade oily stuff would work on you & your critters. I have used peanut butter on dog fur & on myself successfully!

18. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

They sell something at the dreaded (hehehe) WalMart called "DeSolveIt" or something like that. Orange oil, I think. Works WONDERS! It even dissolves candle wax (that I dripped onto the fireplace screening, carpet, lace curtain, etc ..... don't ask).

It is supposedly safe enough to use full strength on babies.... and smells SOOO good.