Homesteading Forum banner

Pillars of the Earth

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  beaglebiz 
#1 ·
I'm having a hard time getting into this book. I was wondering if the book just starts off a little slow. I've read so many good reviews about Pillars that I don't want to just stop reading it, yet I get so bored!

Please tell me it gets better!

#2 ·
Bee - Hang in there. :) It gets better! Go slow.... It's not a book you can read casually, IMO. Casually as in not having to think about it. One of the reasons it took me so long was that I needed to read for a while, put it down, and think about the characters, the story, and all that.

Not to mention that the sucker was almost a thousand pages! :)

#6 ·
I was sick so I had some time to read, and I just finished this book. I LOVED the book, up until around the 800th page, when it felt like the writing style changed, and it became a summary of what had already happened. I would still recommend the book, because it was exciting and gave you a really good feel for what life was like in the 1100's. I just started the sequel, I hope it's like the first part of the first book. :)

#9 ·
I haven't read Pillars of the Earth but I listened to the audiobook of it some time ago (used to read alot but don't have much time to read anymore so I listen to audiobooks while I work or exercise).

I have to say the audiobook of it is AMAZING & I would highly recommend it. The story was great but the narrator did a fabulous job as well. There were many times I got so drawn into the story I forgot what I was doing and just sat or stood staring into space, transfixed by the story.

But even with the audiobook version there were parts I found to be a little tedious, like some of the politics among the monks. The plot with the monks does get interesting eventually but those sections didn't hold my attention like the parts about Tom Builder, Jack & Aliena.

After it was done I immediately got the audiobook of the sequel, World Without End, which was also good but maybe not so much as Pillars. I think listening to the audio version really added something to both books--the narrator had a wonderfully soothing voice & did a good job with both male & female dialog. One of these days when I have time to read again, I think I'll check out the written versions of these books to see how they stack up.

#10 ·
My two favorite parts of the book were the first line, which I think is the second most awesome line in a book, ever: "The small boys came early to the hanging". Awesome. Secondly I LOVED the scene when the villagers find out Hamleigh is coming through in a day and a half, and they to the wall thing (being vague here so I don't ruin it for anyone).

The monk/politics thing didn't really bother me although I could see where it might feel tedious to some people.

#11 ·
IMO Pillars has about the best opening I can remember in a book. The whole scene of the early morning hanging and the young pregnant Ellen cursing the executioners got me hooked from the very start. Rondah, that line about the boys kind of stuck with me too.

#14 ·
I just started this book three days ago (and am currently about 1/3 way in). I can't put it down. Very well written and intriguing. One of the best books I've ever read, and I've read hundreds.

#15 ·
The pair of them are my two favorite books of the genre.
I can get some real work done with them whispering in my ear.
I get so upset at the pettiness and injustice and closemindedness of the villians, I love them!
And it makes me realize that times just don't ever change.

#16 ·
As soon as I finished TPOTE, I began the sequel WWE. I'm enjoying it as well. I've recommended Pillars to: My wife, my stepson, his girlfriend, all three of my daughters, and my former mother and father in law.

#17 ·
I'm half way through the book now (I don't have much time for reading these days) and I have to say, I really love this book. I heard the "World Without End" wasn't as good as Pillars, but I'm still looking for to reading it next!
It wasn't bad at all; standing alone, by itself, it's a great book.

The problem is that 'World Without End' is sort of 'PotE' take two. If you like 'Pillars of the Earth' then you will like World Without End; but you'll probably say that it's not quite as good as the first.

He's very good at writing those types of books, actually; the rest of his books are quite similar. But Pillars of the Earth is the best of them, I think.

#18 ·
Well, an hour ago, I just finished reading "World Without End", and I have to say I actually enjoyed it more than "Pillars of the Earth" and I really liked that book immensely. WWE in my opinion had so much more depth with four or five story lines that occasionally intersected in fascinating ways.

#19 ·
He hasn't written many, many great books and only these two are of this genre.
Try Eye of the Needle.. it is good! A spy, an island, a family...
But Dangerous Fortune is just fantastic!! So very good. Such a great story.
It follows the lives of a group of boarding school kids after one dies...who did it?
How does it affect them as they try to prosper. Lots of twists and backstabbing and conniving.
His WWII books are great too.. heck! The man hasn't written a bad book.

#20 ·
He's very good at writing those types of books, actually; the rest of his books are quite similar. But Pillars of the Earth is the best of them, I think.
all of the Follett books I have read are spy/thriller types, nothing of an historical type/genre. If I am missing something, please let me know, as I really enjoyed POTE and WWE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.