pilgrim shame, torturing chickens

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Anyone see the video and or photos of chicken torture going on at that Pilgrims Prides plant?? Stomping on chickens and throwing them against walls. There is a story on ABC news http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/072004_an_chickenabuse.html
    and here on NBC
    http://www.nbc10.com/news/3550530/detail.html
    You can email Pilgrims Pride http://www.pilgrimspride.com/company/contact.asp
    Let them know real farmers don't abuse their animals and if this country still got its meat from real, family farms this kind of crap wouldn't happen!

2. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

What is seen on that video is more common than believed. And it doesn't just happen in chicken production ... swine, turkey, beef and other mass-produced meat animals suffer horribly at the hands of their keepers.

I agree that if the family farm were still the source of our food supply there would be far fewer cases of animal abuse. But, alas, we are a jam-packed country full of fast-food eaters and the demand for production far outweighs any hope of major change in production habits.

I, for one, refuse to buy it. And like many others, prefer to raise my own.

Peace and smiles,
    doohap

3. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Well, at least KFC is DOING something about it. I don't like PETA but this kind of thing is unneccessary.

4. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

There's no comparison to eating "happy meat" raised on the family farm with care and room to roam!

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I don't care whether this video is true or not, whether PETA put it out, none of that stuff.

I simply refuse to buy Pilgrim or Tyson's products for the simple fact that their products are so, so, so, so nasty. :no:

But they're not the only ones. There's a small commercial chicken outfit down the road which, as far as these things go, is relatively tame. But it's about the nastiest place I've ever seen and turns out some of the most awful looking product imagineable. Yeeelch. :no: Scrawny awful looking nasty stuff. :no:

Those of us who aren't raising our own chickens and meat should ought to be refusing to buy the awful stuff from Pilgrim and Tyson (etc), and buy free range, antibiotic free chicken or grain-fed beef instead. It's completely do-able and doesn't cost hardly anything more --- especially given the free range, antibiotic chicken is usually MUCH bigger and meatier than that hideous Tyson cr*p --- meaning the few extra cents you do pay (and it's not too much more either!) yields you MUCH morefor the dollar.

As for KFC, given my own fried chicken and mashed potatoes whoop theirs to a bloody pulp, I consider them a total waste of money. :rolleyes:

6. doohap

UNNECCESSARY????!!! UNNECCESSARY???!!! ... I think a little stronger definition of what "this kind of thing is" is necessary. "This kind of thing" is an atrocity, a horror, a completely reprehensible and revolting indication of man's inhumanity! Besides the horror of the fact that major corporations and meat-producing companies where these animals are raised in such squalor are even PERMITTED in our "civilized society," there is the realization that the workers in these factories are loosed onto the streets of our communities when they finish their alloted time "at work."

Yes, "this kind of thing" IS unnecessary!

With fresh tears on my face not only for the poor animals seen in this and other videos, but for our own lamentable selves as well, I bid you peace and smiles.

doohap

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Doohap, how do you know for a fact that the PETA undercover person didnt have another PETA worker in there, doing those things so they could video the "atrocities"? You just don't know. I dont put anything past PETA.

However, I did watch their video, and it was horrible. But what is your answer? Ban all commercial farms? There are plenty of places that DO raise the animals humanely...as someone said in another thread on this, there are a small percentage of parents that beat their children...should all parents have their children taken away because some do? Im not advocating animal abuse, but what is the answer here?

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............I'm NOT a TREE Hugger , or a Subsriber to any of those other far left wing nut-groups , but this type of behavior is Part and Parcel of the "let the market decide" philosophy which means , in essence , NO Oversight, NO Accountability , No Inspection , etc. Some of the Other Scandels that can be attributed to this same "lack of Oversight " by the Fed.....Mutual Fund(s) after hours Investment scheme , Manipulation of power grid Re:Enron , Theft of Stockholders Equity Re:Enron, Manipulation and Sale of Citizens Private and Personal Information in Data banks by companies like Equifax and etal ....which is ALL perfectly legal and is a Great benefit for some parts of the Patriot Act... Lets NOT forget the Total Abandoment of Any semblence of Professional Ethics by the AICPA (american institute of certified professional accountants) in reference to GAAP..."generally accepted accounting procedures" in monitoring and intervening in the Totally corrupt accounting practices of Arthur Anderson as both CPA's and as Management Consultants to Enron . .....And, the other major CPA firms , were just as Complicit as they were ALL playing the Same Game as AA but were never prosecuted because the Justice Dept. decided it only needed One Sacrifical Lamb to demonstrate it's devotion to Duty ........fordy..... :eek: :)

9. Cosmoline

Cosmoline Active Member

I don't trust PETA one bit, and I wouldn't put it past them to stage this sort of thing. That said, I prefer to buy from local butchers who cut up their own meat for a variety of reasons. I simply don't trust the standards at mass production meat factories. The chance of contamination is high, and meat quality very low.

I'm not going to get all high and mighty about slaughterhouse workers though. It's a very nasty job that pays poorly. These folks are the untouchables of the US--hated even by those who consume the fruit of their hard larbor. While I don't condone needless sadistic brutality, pain and suffering are to be expected when killing any animal. I've put many bullets into game, and to my knowledge not one of them appreciated being shot.

10. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

If you know anything about PETA you would never suggest that they would stage an animal being hurt to make a point. Yes, like all extremists they can go too far, but they would never stoop to harming the creatures they so fanatically want to protect. Besides, it seems it was a co-worker who called about the problem after getting no response from mangement.

I agree with the other folk here that the problem is corporate farming. It's bad for the workers, the animals and the consumers. I only eat meat when I know the source. I would rather eat it less and pay more than support the factory farms. If you don't grow your own - check around - most communities either have a local farmer or grocery that offers meat that was raised humanly and organically.

11. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

I was sickened by this video! I am newly committed to raising my own chickens for our table. Also, I am not going to buy any other meat unless I know the farmer who raised it in my area. I don't want to be a part of this problem.

PETA gets a little crazy... well, a lot crazy... at times, but this news story is good undercover work and hopefully will result in a change... those poor little chickens... what kind of person does that to another living creature???? #^$%&@$'s they are all @$#^@%&*$ !!!!

12. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Then why do they go to dog shows and release the dogs from crates and xpens to let them roam "free" in the traffic????? I would not put ANYTHING pass PETA. They would probably look at it as the end justifies the means.
    Alice in Virginia

13. doohap

Believe me ... I've never been known to praise PETA. Though at one time I was vegetarian, I do eat all sorts of meats. But I do love animals and believe that large numbers of people can be fed without using the methods used in large-scale commercial factories.

However, I do not know what the answer is ... the problems that we humans create due to greed never fails to startle me. My post was simply my gut-felt reaction to the unimaginable images in the video.

If the three or four people I saw in the film -- throwing the chickens, stomping on them, kicking them across the room -- are members of PETA, then my anger is directed at them. No matter WHO is responsible I am still awe-struck and outraged.

And my eyes still spill.

Peace and smiles,
    doohap

14. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Oh DEAR!!!! Chickens being inhumanely treated..oh.. KILLED?? !!!! IF YOU EAT MEAT THIS IS THE WAY IT IS!!! I disagree with their behaviour.. but for god's sake..........

DO you want to work in one of those S**t Holes???????? Hmmmmm?????? Just exactly what uppercrust employees do you think DO this kind of work? I can tell you that my 5 years out here in BUmpkinville, has been REAL educational.. well maybe not terrible enlightening.. but certainly frightening..... I had no idea there were such ingrate/inbreds still on the PLANET!!!!!!!

My FAVORITE thing is: 12 miles up the road from me.... In front of the distribution plant of PILGRIM's PRIDE (WHICH.. I noticed ABC is not mentioning now.. Only "KFC says they will not buy more chicken from the supplier if not assured of no more abuses"???????!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ANYWAY.. is what we not so lovingly refer to as "The Big Giant Head". Literally that.. Bo Pilgrim's Head w/pilgrim hat left over from the roof of a nasty restrauant in Pittsburg, Tx.. (****burg) that, I guess they decided to recycle.. the diameter is approx. .. oh.... say... 15 FEET.
    The best part is underneath the monolith...... Bo dear, sitting on a bench, reading his bible with his pet chicken "Henrietta". I kid you not. (Texas Highways last Aug. issue did a story on "tri-lakes area"..) (I'd post em for ya.. but it's all just too sickening!)
    And why do some of you show such surprise at the behavior of the 'infidels??? Pft. 97% of rapes are commited by.. ummmm...???/ let's see.. ... oh yeah..... MALES!!!!!!! :no:
    Oh the UP side.. Bo Pilgrim does grant a scholorship for two years of college to each high school graduate.. teaches sunday school.. um.... has a pretty good mansion.. but CERTAINLY NOT what he COULD with his 'bucks'..so... there ya go... the on site chicken land daily report!!!

15. charles

charles Well-Known Member

Several posts have attibuted the cruelty to corporateness and suggested that on family farms this doesn't happen.

My experience as a child among farm children in rural upstate New York is different. Tender little ole sixth grader me was hurt when I saw farm boys pick up frogs and slice through the poor wiggling creatures' skin with their thumbnails, skin them, and toss them on the school sidewalk to bake. They laughed and found it fun.

On another day they joked about what they'd do when they found nests with young birds in barns and silos. They'd toss them into farm machinery that would crunch and tear the cheeping babies up. They'd one-up each other with their stories and laugh.

So, overall, I'm not sure that cruelty is more prevalent because corporations have replaced the "idyllic" small farming.

17. Cosmoline

Cosmoline Active Member

PETA has become a clinically insane organization over the past few years. There may have been a time when it was truly interested in animal wellfare, but that time is long gone. Some of these loonatics even tried to "liberate" my dog from a crate in the back of my truck in downtown Anchorage. The same bunch that "liberated" sled dogs in a similar manner and left them to run terrified through traffic.

I also take some umbrage at the claim that "hunting isn't about killing." Well maybe not for the upper class grouse hunter who really doesn't care if he gets his bird. But for many of us hunting is about getting food, and that means killing. Specifically, it means sending a supersonic piece of lead and metal through an animal's heart and lungs, then cutting the animal up and eating the good parts. Or in my case, eating the good parts and giving the dogs the parts I don't like as much. 100% of it is used. I don't like to see animals suffer, but of course they almost always do. No animal wants to be eaten.

So if I get a chance to do a maligned "canned hunt" where they put a farm bison in front of me and let me shoot it and butcher it, you better believe I'll do it. The "romance" of hunting is for those who can afford it. I can't. Thousands of dollars worth of bison meat is more than worth the price of the hunt.

As far as this case goes, I have to remind myself that the average trout or salmon I beat to death ont he side of the river has more brains than the chickens in the video. At this point those animals have been bred into meat with legs, and they don't even have sense to come in out of the hot sun. I worry far more about cows or pigs being partially killed and slaughterd while still alive. As far as chickens... well if nature (and PETA for that matter) had its way, they'd all die horribly in a week or two.

18. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Well, I don't know about that. I've met chickens with more brains than some people --- not to mention, a few chickens with more pleasing personalities than a lot of people.

I absolutely agree with this. I find romanticism of a thoroughly fictional past pretty silly.

However, Tyson's has done monstrous things, in terms of the quality of their product and damage to the environment. i have yet to hear of any small scale farmers committing such damage on such a large scale.

There's my beef. :confused: :D And that's one reason i say buy local, buy free-range and antibiotic free (or grain fed, with beef).