Pigs won't leave current pen for another.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Judy018, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Judy018

Judy018 Member

We are trying to move our pigs (about 6 months old) from one pen to another for better foraging, but they just won't go. I tried banging on the slop pail to get them to come, but it didn't work this time. 3 came out of the pen but wouldn't go anywhere near the new one. It was quite an effort to get them back in the old pen. We've given up for today as they are obviously scared/confused now.

Does anyone have a less strenuous idea to move them. We are exhausted from the chase this AM, and Ron got kicked quite a few times, so he's bruised up as well.

Thanks in advance....Judy

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

If their is nothing in the pen to eat, do not feed or water them.

When they get hungry and thirsty use food to lead them.

Don't worry they are not going to die by losing a meal.

If you get hungry you will eat your worst meal.

I believe they will lead

3. Farmall

Farmall Active Member

let them go hungry for a day. DO NOT JUST QUIT FEEDING THEM< BUT CUT THEIR FEED BY 1/2. next day run a trail with shelled corn from around 15ft in their old pen (not knowing what size it is) to a real good distance nside the new pen. D this for 3 days, then they will be well aware where it is. You ight start the 2nd day from the gate into the new pen and go further into the new pen, same with the 3rd day, go 20ft inside the new pen before starting the trail. If you see them ccoming inside the new pen on the third day without et eating corn and they come in fearlessly, then all is alright

4. Judy018

Judy018 Member

Thanks again. Farmall, I am beginning to wish you lived next door. ;)

Judy