Pigs with Chickens?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TxCloverAngel, Jun 25, 2005.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

HI everyone. I am so glad I found this site, you have been a wealth of information already.
    I am new to pigs.. well new to all farm animals, but I finally got my little ole country home I have always dreamed of, and love it! My question is.. I have 3 feeder pigglets whos main objective in life seems to be playing, Who can break out of the pig pen first! Thank goodness I have 5 kids or I'd never be able to catch em ! I also have about 40 chickens, in a very secure chicken yard, I am in the process of building an un-breakoutable pig pen.. untill its done, can a put the pigglets in w/ my chickens? (will take me a few days at least) Would that be ok for them? what about the chickens? Any info would be great! Thanks in advance!

2. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

My chickens roam free and we have a 10 week old potbelly pig that doesn't seem bothered in the least by the chickens. Tho given a chance he will steal their food. I too am new to the farm animal thing. I've had the farm but not the time. Just since April we have acquired 2 goats, 11 hens and a potbellied pig. Good luck with the animals. This sight has already been very helpful to me so I am sure you will find some good advise here. It is a great place for us newbies!!!

3. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Pigs are omnivorous. They will eat chickens if they catch them - and you've already seen how fast pigs can move!! PS: the only evidence of a pig catching a chicken will be a head count on the chickens...

4. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't chance it!

5. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

at the moment the pigglets are just abo :p ut 6 weeks old.. the chickens are bigger than they are! lol But after reading here I agree.... not worth the risk... and hey.. we could use a little excersize.. even if it comes from chasing these little pigs! lol thanks so much

6. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Hogs + Chickens= No chickens :)

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Lets see.. 5 kids...one mom... and a full time job for each kid as prison guard for the piglets...I think I hear rumors of a union starting. :haha:

un-breakoutable pig pen.. well that means masonry walls deep enough they cant dig out, tall enough they cant climb over. I still think you are hearing rumors of a trade union

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

on the other side, we have 4 wieners, very large, who have chickens eat out of the hog feeder every day. Same thing last year with the hogs we had. No chicken eaten yet, BUT the hogs have feed 24/7 at their disposal so I guess they are never hungry enough to eat a chicken or want to escape.

I really have to agree with the others that if I were you I wouldn't mix any animal in with wieners

Have fun raising the little pork factories and don't forget the shade and waller they love.

9. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

If a chicken dies for some reason, I throw the dead bird to the pigs.

In five minutes there is not even a feather left.

Pete

10. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

yes it is true that if one of my hogs decides to take a nip out of one of my chickens that would probably be it for the rest, but they have not doen so yet and they are around the hogs more than I would like. The chickens are so bold as to eat out of the feeder when the hogs are feeding and they have yet to be eatened. I have not had an issue yet with them, but I know once it happens I will have to definately make sure that the chickens stay away but as for now it seems fine. they have been around each other this year for five months so far and nothing has happened, of course the chickens go crazy when I feed the eggs to the hogs.

11. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

awhile ago on a post I had posted on, one of these wonderful people probably said it best - sorry my brain is cramped today - too hot and had to move chickens to new pen! Anyway, they said that they swore they could hear their pig hollering buffet when they saw a chicken. I have rescued a few who happened to get into the pig pen and couldn't get around all the legs etc.

We keep ours separate - I am not sure if the chickens can transmit to pigs but turkeys can transmit a disease call erisypilas. Nasty - can kill the pigs and their litters. I had a devil of a run of it last year just by our turkeys and chickens being in the same barn.

Besides no pictures is better than one of a kid chasing a farm critter. We had baby layers out of the pen this morning (4 weeks old or so) and the kids (15 and 13) were busy chasing them to get back in - I woke them up to do it - they were laughing so hard I thought they would drop. No small feat for cranky, sleepless teenagers. Wish I had a camera with me at that time to catch it.

Good luck, Laurie