Pigs & Turkeys??

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Laura Workman, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

OK, the erysipelas thread has me all wierded out. :eek: I wanted to have a breeding pair of potbelly pigs running around the place. They get the run of the pasture as long as they don't wreck it up too badly. I also wanted some free-range bourbon red turkeys. These would also be spending time in the pasture. The pasture is a little less than an acre. Is there something about pigs and turkeys that makes eryispelas get out of control? Is anyone ranging both on the same ground successfully? (Please say "Yes.")

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

You can vaccinate for it, so your pigs will be safe if they range with your turkeys. Your piglets will have immunity until weaning. All of my pigs are vaccinated upon weaning. My turkeys (Bourbon Reds, Black-Winged Bronze, and Sweetgrass) fly into the piglet pen and eat out of the bowls and drink the same water.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I dont have turkeys, but do have geese and chickens with potbellies, along with Soay sheep, burro and dog and haven't had a problem. I think in general the main problem is overcrowding.

4. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Here is information on the Erysipelas that I got off line http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/departments/vdpam/swine/diseases/skin/erysipelas/ . Hope this helps. The one thing that really made a mess of things for us is that the Sow was not producing enough milk to pass immunity. We probably would have lost some piglets but not as many if we would have been more agressive with the vaccine. THe bottle of vaccine says piglets can be vaccinated at 7 to 10 days and then at weaning. The vet says 7 to 10 days of age and then in 2 to 3 weeks. Never again will I not vaccinate. The vaccine was only $10 for a 100 ml bottle.