Pigs & Skunks?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Up North, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Will the presence of hogs drive skunks out of an area? Do the Hogs run them off or do the Hogs stink so much that skunks just can't stand them, LOL?
    Reason I ask is we had a beef barn skunks had burrowed under the floor and made a nest. Moved Hogs into barn and Voila!...skunks have moved out, disapeared, gone , no more evidence or sightings of 'em ...:happy:

Are Hogs natural Varmint Eradicators?

2. ericakc

ericakc Well-Known Member

You may be onto something. I met a 'possum on the path to the pig pen the other night. She appeared to be leaving the area. I thought "I've got to change the batteries in this flashlight or one of these nights I'll be right on top of a skunk before I see it!":eek:

3. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

Most likely, the hogs found the skunks nest, and had an impromptu buffet. They'll dig up and eat gophers and moles, I see no reason why any other rodent nest would not be similarly attractive.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Right. However, just because there are pigs, does not mean that skunks wont wander in. We have seen that a lot.

5. Up North

AHA! Does this mean You Got Pigs? :)

6. ericakc

ericakc Well-Known Member

I didn't think I could slip that past you. ;)

Aye, I got two hampshires at the auction in September and two Durocs at the auction in October. All are doing well.

Might go to the November sale, but you know, just to look. ;)

7. Up North

MILKINPIGS Has corrupted you...Another sensible citizen perusing the porcine offerings at the local sale barn...traipsing dark paths of peril to provide swine suppers. A clear case 'O Da Fever, LOL :nana: