Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain Deserts
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for pigs to be so personable when they are handled a lot?
We got 4 pigs as 4H projects but they did not make weight for market sale. Good learning for the kids, and excellent bacon for my freezer (considering it is over $8 a lb here a good investment for my family too). The kids worked hard on showmanship, and the pigs are easy to move around. I'd never take on another pig unless it would show now that I can move them easily from the pen to the garden and let them do some of the tilling for me!
Every morning, it seems that the pigs have decided they are going to take a walk about. As I go outside, they are waiting for me in the back yard. I scratch their backs, and walk back to the pig pen, and they follow along like it is just part of the day. If I walk to slowly, they stand at the fence wherever they have pushed it open and wait for me to let them back in. I knew pigs are smart, but what is this about?

·
Registered
488 Posts
That's one thing I love about pigs, they get so personable! Mine do. I feel it is the only way to have them. Real easy to spot if one is not right in any way, imo. ...and extremely handy like you said when they get out! ...and no hassle shot giving! ...and I feel tame stuff grows better. ...handles situations better. ....and, ok I'll quit...:happy2:

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Just so you know they are not all like that. I was able to start out with 5 different breeds of pigs when I first got back into them. I raised them all in the same conditions, all together. I have some who could care less what you do to them or what you are doing, I have some who will come investigate everything you do, Then I have some that have never had any trust with people and will have nothing to do with you. I believe breeding has lots to do with it from my experience. My Mulefoot pigs never wanted anything to do with people at all. I lost one gilt, but the other one that farrowed became very aggressive once she had piglets. She will not be staying around long.

So while I believe handling is good to get them used to being around people and being managed, I also believe there are some breeds and some individuals that no mater how you handle them will never be what you would call friendly, it is just not in their genetic makeup!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts