Pigs killing small animals?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by linchiq, May 17, 2005.

1. linchiq

linchiq New Member

On Sunday our dairy goat had quadruplets. We put them in the holding pen next to the one the pigs are in until we can get them outside. There is cattle panel in between the two pens. We did not think a thing of it.

Today I got home and one kid was in the pen with the pigs, dead and disemboweled. A second one was out of his pen and out of the pig pen, in a general area with his tail bitten nearly off and one ear bloody, and scratches all over. We are hoping he will make it -- we docked and disinfected the tail and cleaned him up the best we could.

Needless to say we have rearranged the pens. But we are just completely brokenhearted that this could happen. Is this "normal" behavior for adolescent pigs? (I would say they are about 65 lbs)

2. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your lose. It is so horrible when one thing you love kills something else you love. HOwever I was rather offended when I had a very knowledgable goat woman tell me that I couldn't let my new goats around my hog, She assured me that pigs like to kill little goats and all sorts of small helpless creatures. So I guess your answer is yes it is common behavior.

However my 8 year old neutered male hog , doesn't and wouldn't and hasn't ever hurt any of my babies. But he wasn't raised like a pig, he has free range of 3 acres and is treated with the love ( from me ) and respect ( from the other animals ) he feels he is due. He lets anyone share his food and is an all around exceptional guy.

3. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

oh that is horrible and I am so sorry!
    We currently have 7 piglets in a stall in the barn, the stall where my barn birds love to roost. The pigs' first night or 2, I manually placed the chickens and turkey on the wall of another stall, nervous that the birds would fly into the stall to help themselves to food or water.
    The turkey is still nervous around them and roosts in the other stall, but the chickens are back to their original spot. In fact these boys let my leghorn hen clean their snouts after eating. This happened last year with our pigs too. The chickens would clean the pigs' faces through the fence without any problems -- the pigs even offered them.
    So maybe it depends on breed, gender or diet?