Pigs got Brains?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Oxankle, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

I have always heard that pigs were pretty smart animals. Maybe so.

I brought home this piglet and tossed it in the pen, thinking that before it got cold I'd have to build a shelter. Next morning when I got outside the pig was shivering.

So--feeling a bit guilty about that I started looking around for a temporary shelter. Eyes fell on a fibreglass tub from a motor home--neighbor thought it might make a watering trough. It had a six-inch rim around two sides and was odd-shaped to fit in a corner. Anyway, I added rim around two more of the 5 sides with 2 x 6's and when turned upside down in made a "sort-of" doghouse. By the time I filled a corner of the pen with old hay and set the tub inside I thought it would at least keep the pig out of the rain.

This morning the pig was nowhere to be seen and the "doghouse" pig shelter had no entrance--the entrance was shoved full of hay. When I called "piggie, piggie" the pig stuck its nose out of the hay and pushed its way thru the entrance. Lawsy me; snug as a bug in a rug.

I watched off and on thru the day; there is no question that the piglet has adopted the tub as its quarters, and it knows how to close up the opening.

I'll have to be careful that it does not learn the numbers to my bank accounts. And I still have to build that shelter.

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

yes, they got brains... :goodjob:

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

A pig with instincts should know to figure out how to burrow into hay. They have a brain, they feel pain and cold and hunger, that doesn't mean they are intelligent. there is a reason to say "so and so has the brains of a pig" is not complimentary

4. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Scientific research has shown that pigs are smarter than dogs and are housebroken faster than dogs! So dogs that hunt wild hogs are, by nature, more intelligent than your average couch potato dog and are also having a tendency to be more dominant for obvious reasons and they don't make good pets unless they're exercised hard and mentally as well.

5. GeorgeK

made up nonsense from PETA. There are invertebrates ranked higher in intelligence than pigs. People of poor research caliber often mistake instinctual behavior for training, and pat themselves on the back for something that just comes natural for a given animal. Pigs are stupid, but evolutionarily evolved to have good survival instincts

6. TedH71

I didn't get that info from PETA...actually from a college where I attended and was majoring in Animal Science at the time. I believe there are two wild animals in North America that will plot revenge against humans...bears and wild hogs. When you send dogs onto the wild hogs..they know you sent the dogs..and when they evade the dogs or are able to fight them off, the first thing they will do is attempt to find you and get at you while fleeing the scene. NOT kidding.

Ted

7. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

Ted,
    You can go ahead and tell us you really don't think the bears and boars will soon start attacking...Are you saying if a hunter lets his dogs loose the pigs will stalk the hunter and try to kill him???? Sounds like an easy meal to me...That is a good one though .... Thanks for the laugh......

8. GeorgeK

Just because you didn't get it from a PETA website doesn't mean it didn't come from a PETArd. My pigs are raised as wild, many are free range, and they simply come back an hour before dusk to get a treat of a can of corn. I can shoot and stick one and the rest don't even flinch, shoot and stick a second and they keep eating, shoot and stick a third and they still don't figure it out. In fact most will hang around gobbling up scraps left behind (colon, stuff in the colon) and never realize they are next, just like chickens.

9. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

georgek- i've come to respect your knowledge when it comes to keeping and breeding pigs.

however, not everyone you disagree with is a PETArd, as you put it. i work with the mentally handicapped and think that it is really offensive comment.

i think pigs are pretty smart for a critter, smarter than dogs, and easier to train.

it's called an opinion. everybody has one, and it doesn't make them evil liberals who are trying to force you to eat only vegetables and want to raid your farm and take away your livelihood. :rolleyes:

10. GeorgeK

so are you saying that only mentally handicapped people join PETA? personally I've never met one who was a member, and I feel you are insulting the mentally handicapped

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Hog brains They are good with eggs. I know thats not what this is about but I had to say it...

12. TedH71

Frog,

I didn't mean it like that.. :nono: You obviously don't hunt so I would rather not waste my time debating this. When you've been hunting as long as I have you begin to notice each animal's traits. I have to say deer and possums are the dumbest critters out there. Feral hogs and bears are much more dangerous..black bears less so..a grizzly sure aint that less dangerous, lol.

Ted

13. marvella

glad you understood my meaning.

but how 'bout giving us a break with the peta crap? really, you have a lot of knowledge to share about pigs. no real point in throwing in a dig against some group, just because you can. it interferes with the free flow of info to be had here. ox just wanted to talk about how smart his pig was to make herself a nest, and the shelter he rigged for her was working out. no need to rant.

glad we got to talk about this. thanks. :D

14. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

Ted is on the money. certain animals will circle around to their own trail & attempt to ambush their pursuers. African leopards & buffalo are famous for it. less well known is the fact that bears (especially the grizzly/brown), boar (to include feral hogs) & mountain lion will do the same. they will also string out a pack and stop to kill them one at a time. of the prey species moose are the only ones known to do the same.
    farm pigs were bred for easy handling & nonviolent nature (dumbed down) and cannot in anyway compare to true wild boar or feral hogs whose inherent intelligence has been progressively increased by generations of predation. free ranging is not wild. and the first generation of feral anything (goat, pig, cat etc) is always the easiest to kill because their intelligence has been bred down for easier handling AND they haven't been EDUCATED to heavy predation.
    George if you allow your pigs to become totaly feral, eventually some are going to figure out to run at the sound of the shot. they will survive to pass on their genes & sooner or later they will get smart enough to avoid the baits, work the wind to check for predators, fight for breeding rights & survival. then you'll still be killing young uneducated hogs (the best eating), but you won't even see the older ones.

15. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

Ted,TED
    Son, Please come and sit down with me a sec, If you didn't mean it like that then don't say it..You say you learned all these traits by first hand hunting? I think you learned them from one of your college professors that has probably not been in the woods any longer than you...as far as the dumbest critters ?? I wouldn't try to tackle that question seriously...But to me it would have to be the house cat.....

16. GeorgeK

I've been hunted by a three legged feral Rotweiler. Virtually any specific animal, whether predator or prey can attack a hunter. If you are at least as old as me you likely will have seen the old disney scene of a buck charging down a mountain lion. That behavior in an individual, however, is insufficient to confer intelligence on a species or breed. Whether pigs are described as prey or predator really depends on from what other animal's viewpoint you are looking. They prey on some and are prey for others. I question the whole concept about boars hunting human hunters as a rule. Every Boar hunter I've talked to, and every thing I've read before suggests as a RULE, the boar will take the easy way out, and run if there is that option. The comments on this thread are the first I've heard of the other as a generalization, and Marvella, although you might not like the way I phrased it, My point is just because you hear something in a college class doesn't make it true. Grad School and Professional School were real eye openers for me to see the degree of brainwashing that individual professors passed off as truth when it was merely their own personal agenda. The "dig" as you put it was partly because of the falsities and opinions preached by every PETA member I have ever personally met as well as many of the so called "learned professors of undergraduate education". The term PETArd has nothing to do with any physical deformity or organic mental disability, it is merely a derrogatory term describing the PETA philosophy that any given livestock animal has more net intrinsic worth than any given human. Perhaps you may call it mean, or unnecessary, but as much as I try to remain logical, I am still influenced by human emotion, and sometimes succumb to it. I doubt you have received death threats or personally know of farms vandalized by these fanatics. There is no argument you can provide that will convince me that these people are mentally stable, trustworthy or deserving of intellectual respect. I grant that that is likely an overgeneralization due to my personal experience due to sampling error. I suggest next time you see me use the term, simply roll your eyes and say "ok, he's stuck on a soap box again", don't respond and the thread will die faster. I might accept certain of their arguments about some specific wild animals, and agree with preserving habitat etc, but Livestock have been deliberately "dumbed down" as was said, and often to the point that were they released into the wild they would simply make a quick tastey meal for some smarter predator, or die from exposure to the elements. They should be treated with respect, and provided a healthy "happy" home, but in the end, they are still dinner.

I agree with that, and on re-reading my hasty posts, I did temporarily overgeneralize Feral to include Wild, and for that I apologise. The natural evolutionary process does seem to be gradually producing more intelligent creatures. However, people, by hunting the biggest healthiest specimens and exterminating the other natural predators like wolves who take the old, sick, or stupid animals have been interfering with the natural order

17. GeorgeK

That is a hard question. What is the dumbest creature you have ever seen...Now to be fair, we should mention that these are indivual creatures and not overgeneralize to the species or breed, afterall some here may have read the "Darwin Awards". I once had a friend who had an Irish Setter so dumb, if you put a washcloth over its head it couldn't figure out how to get it off and would lay down and go to sleep. All our guineas were taken by hawks since they would congregate in the center of a clay field and never figured out how to look up.

18. marvella

I suggest next time you see me use the term, simply roll your eyes and say "ok, he's stuck on a soap box again", don't respond and the thread will die faster

works for me. :buds:

anyway, it's cows. the dumbest creatures by far, and surely because of being bred for placidity.

i think rocks are smarter than cows.

19. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

My vote for the dumbest farm animal is the turkey. Right up there with them are horses and goats.

20. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Haven't had much experience, but I have been told that lambs are the dumbest? I think there are "dumb" in each species...there are really smart people, horses, cows,goats pigs dogs etc....so it is a toss up.
    As for a house cat being the dumbest???? Mine is pretty smart as she is spoiled and has me eating out of her hand.