Pigs for sale/trade.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tsdave, Jun 16, 2006.

1. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

I have about 12 feeder pigs available in 3 or 4 weeks. They were born the week before memorial day. I live near cape girardeau, MO.

I would like to trade some pigs for some goats. The sows are for trade also. This is their second and last litter for me (20 survived out of 21 born, 10 of 11 last).

Send me a PM or reply here. I can deliver/pickup within ~50 miles. (since this is a trade).

2. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are getting rid of all your pigs. May I ask why? I'm wondering because I'll be keeping my gilt for breeding, and I'm thinking of getting into the pig bisiness small scale.

3. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Facilities are really important for pigs, and i dont have them!. I will just list some things that if you dont have, dont bother because the labor will be too large and you wont know when something will go wrong.

you need:
    1) concrete pad with t-posts set in it to hold
    2) hog pannel pen with corners and posts tied at
    3) least six places with doubled up wire plus some
    4) strong gates to get them in and out.
    5) dont forget a sturdy trailer to move them.
    6) a automatic feeder
    7) a automatic waterer (really cuts the labor, i use nipple waterrers)
    8) a place to hold at least a months feed and get
    9) the feed delivered in bulk will save 5 hours a month and money too.
    10) someplace to sell the surplus feeders at, not too hard, but necessary.
    11) 1/2 must be casterated $$$ + time + risk
    12) sows must be seperated when due
    13) boar must be seperated or else it will eat 90% of the feed and get huge.
    14) its hard to make money, never had. I wont say impossible if you got 3 litters / year and sold the mfor $50 a piece you could make a few hundred a year for all your labor and layout.

15) i do it for the food ! :)
    16) plus as with all animals at any time something can go horribly wrong ! :)

i just want something that eats grass ... and doesnt dig it up to eat it first !

4. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Your operation is way less casual than mine! We'll see how long my approach works. I won't get a boar of my own and am not sure how I'll handle impregnation. I forgot about castration! :eek:

I'm not sure goats are less destructive; they just do it a different way. I am considering a cow for the grass, but I got a great deal on a riding mower yesterday!:D