Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a gal email me that bought a couple of piglets from us a few weeks ago. She also got piglets from someone else a few days later.... so she has 5 in total. They are all AGH. She is having a problem with them digging tunnels out of their pens. Right under the fence.

I told her that if it were me I would put some plywood down on the ground where they are digging out and maybe a strand of hotwire along the bottom of the fence. I have never had a pig dig a tunnel, lol. I can only picture Bugs Bunny... I could see if they were just rooting near the fenceline and accidentally pushed their way out, but digging out Shawshank style seems odd. She says they have been free feeding them thus far so I can't imagine why they would want to leave on purpose.

Any ideas? I honestly think that they are just so small they are more likely rooting and accidentally getting out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Get them one if the following:
1) a nose ring
2) a bigger pen
3) stop trying to seperate social groups and sexes
5) let me buy them a ticket to Wasilla, Alaska
6) if your ground ain't frozen then bury it deep or stock the perimeter with debris like concrete

Those AGH can't be much for jumpers but I hear they are used to being roamed and not penned.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those were some of my ideas, too. She has 2 boars and 3 gilts all together. They are very young yet- just a few months old. And I thought she said they had a couple acres. I will check with her again and see if they are in the pasture or if she has them in a smaller pen for now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Our AGH were fine in their pen for a year, but now momma and her babies will get out. That's bad enough but then they get in the goat pen, the chicken yard, we have been repairing fences constantly. We really increased the amount of feed but still they get out, the boar never gets out and the other sow has only been out 2-3 times.
The hogs move rocks, root under fences, dig under fences, push the chain link fence, move their feeders and waterers.
We have reinforced the fence every 2-3 feet and will put up a solar fence when the weather gets better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another vote for a hot wire. Our pigs, especially gilts/sows it seems get so well trained to a hot wire sometimes they won't cross the "line" even after we've moved the hot wire. Also, sounds like some more space might help the situation. good luck!

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
I use electric fence too. I favor solar chargers, I have two Parmac 6 V which I've had for 15 years. Have good grounding and keep the hot wires clear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's what has worked for me so far, and we don't have access to electricity for a hot wire...I had a bunch of broken cinder blocks. My son and I dug a trench around the inside perimeter of the pen and filled it with fairly large pieces of the cinder block, then covered them back up. No dig outs yet, and the pigs seem to get discouraged trying to root there and give up, they don't get near the fence often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts