Pigs digging in yard question?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by southrngardngal, Sep 5, 2006.

1. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

I do not know anything about raising pigs but I just read on another forum (if I understand this correctly) that pigs can be put into an area that has grass with rhisomes (sp) and the pigs will dig this up and destroy the roots of the grass. Am I reading and understanding this correctly?

Now, if I fenced in an area where I would like to have a garden would the pigs clean out the grass roots to the point the grass will not come back up?

We are wanting to have a large garden in our backyard but a tractor can't be used as there are pens, buildings and a deck there. There is no place for the tractor to turn around. Too, if a tractor is used the grass roots will still be in the dirt.

I know this is probably a "duh" question but hey if pigs can get rid of grass roots and all plus getting the ground sort of dug up then I would be glad to have some pigs in my backyard. I have plenty of clothes pins to use on my nose. LOL

Thanks for any information you all can give me.

Jan-southrngardngal

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

yes pigs will root up any vegitation (even trees if given time) and eat what they can, lots of people use hogs to turn their soil for the garden the next spring, not only do they loosen up the soil and eat the weeds and grass but they fertilze it as well.

3. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Jan...yes, the pigs will do the job for you. You can expedite the process by broadcasting corn all over the area that you have them. I would do this a few times a day in addition to their regular feedings. This will get them rooting in the area more evenly. Be aware that they will root along the fences first and that is where escapes happen! Use a solid base like lumber or electric wire right along the ground to keep them where they need to be. Also, you can add water to some of the depressions they make and they will wallow and tear it up even more! You will have a nice garden next year!!!

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

In the fall I clean out the barns, put the tractor scoops of straw/manure in the garden, sprinkle the tops of each pile with corn and turn the chickens in.
    They go to town flinging and scratching till all the piles are distributed around the garden.
    Then I turn a couple of pigs in to finish turning the straw/manure into the soil.
    It takes a couple of weeks for the whole garden to get done, but it saves me a lot of work! :)

5. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

May i also add, they do not stink like others tell you!! My chickens smell worse than the pigs!

6. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

Oh wow, that is great! I can't wait until my hubby gets home from work and I get to tell him I found a tractor. LOL

He has wondered how we would be able to get the spot broken up. Now I can tell him.

We have had raised beds and with the drought it seems they get dried out quicker than what we had just planted into the ground. So we were going to a full backyard garden. Also, we have pulled grass until I am ready to give up. Solved both problems with one post.

Thanks everyone. You people are a wealth of information.

Jan