Pigs are not breeding

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Rob30, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have three sows and a boar. Two sows run 500lbs one about 250lbs. One 500lb sow came into heat and the boar tried to get her. He's only 200lbs. He missed and she came back into heat today. However my other two don't seem to have a strong heat, and even when the other 500lb sow came into heat the boar didn't even show interest.
    Any ideas?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe your sows are ugly. LOL OR maybe they are under heat stress. Have you had the really hot days like everywhere else? A 200 pound boar can be intiminated by larger sows. Do the sows show swelling of their pepe when you think they should be in heat?

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

you can heat check without actually putting the boar with them. Run them by his fence....they will tell you if they want in or not. You do the pressure test on their back and if they stand erect with ears pointed, and not moving...they are in standing heat. If he is not interested, then there is something wrong with him. You can ruin young boars by having the sows beat up on them if they are not in heat.

If they are not interested in him and wont' "stand", then there is something going on with her. She is either bred or not working. Are you sure he didn't get them the last time??

4. allanimaldepot

allanimaldepot New Member

I would have to say that I think your boar is too small. When he gets to be about three hundred pounds he should be ready and able to breed your sows. If he is kept in the same area with the sows he may become afraid of them if they are beating up on him. In the future this may make him timid.

Tracy

5. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Are your sows a fat 500# or are they pretty lean...I can see them being over weight and not sticking...Just made me wonder...But I also agree your boar might be a lil small for a 500# gal...
    AJ

6. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

They are not fat. I keep them on pasture, so they are in good shape. He may be little small, but thats not stopping him from trying. I thought for sure he got the biggest of the sows, but she came into heat again. As far as being pushed around by the sows, thats not happening. It took him about 2-3 weeks but he is boss hog. All my sows are went into a heat this week. The smallest(250lb) is still in heat. I am debating on building a breeding stall, with a ramp for Charley to get a better angle.