Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are going to venture into pigs, doing KuneKune and AGH, adding a Berk or GOS gilt later on. I was also hoping to get a breeding trio of turkeys again next year. On the pastured pigs FB group I'm on, a couple people were talking about turkeys and pigs and said pigs can die from something turkeys carry. People had tried converting old turkey barns into pig barns and the whole lot would die after a few months. Is this true or just coincidence? Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Probably erypiselas. You can vaccinate for it. I had to after my sow survived it. 50% of pigs carry it in their tonsils. Wild birds can carry it too, as well as sheep.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I've always wanted to raise turkeys but have not because there is a disease that turkeys can give to pigs and another to chickens: Erysipelas. Pigs bring home the bread and butter for us and we keep hundreds of chickens on pasture too. There is a vaccine but I have read and heard mixed reviews of how effective it is.

All that said though, we have lots of wild turkeys and no sign of Erysipelas so perhaps it is not a big issue. However, my brother raises turkeys so I have little incentive to raise them, other than the fun.

-Walter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts