pigs and pumpkins

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by .netDude, Nov 10, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Does someone know what the nutritional value of pumpkins is? Can I replace a certain amount of corn or meal with pumpkins (currently feeding 50/50 corn and hog feed)? I just bought a truckload cheap. Also, any suggestions on the best way to store them so they keep for a couple months? Right now they are upstairs in the barn, cold and dry.
    Thanks.

2. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

I would like to know as well. I just got 4 pickup load trucks worth for free and am already feeding them to the pigs, who love it, but I am wondering how much I need to supplement.
    As for storing, the guy who gave them to me told me that the best thing is to keep them close to the ground and cover them with a tarp as they already have a lot of heat inside. Since you have them in the barn, they'll probably be even better off. I think as long as they don't go thru freeze cycles, they should last thru Jan-Feb, at least that's what the good farmer who gave me the pumpkins told me.
    Cheers
    Ramon

3. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

Don't ya just love free stuff! I too have gotten tons of free pumpkins that didn't sell for halloween/fall decorating. While I don't kow the full nutritional value they have; I have continued feeding regular amount of feed and tossing two-three pumpkins per pig for treats. I'd keep them close to the ground and covered loosely. If possible check for soft spots periodically to head off spoilage.

4. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

I have received 7 truckloads of pumpkins this year from a generous farmer. I have been feeding them to all of our livestock, which includes mini donkeys, llamas, alpacas, several goats, pot belly pigs, several breeds of sheep and poultry. Even our Emu and Ostriches eat them. The poultry go crazy for the seeds and the mushy insides. The pot bellys love them too. Our babydoll sheep and pygora goats have orange faces now. In a week or so, the farmer told me to come and get all of the squash he has left. That will be a special treat for my guys. I have read that something in the pumpkins act as a natural wormer, so that is a bonus too. As ihedrick said, you gotta love free stuff, especially when the coast of hay here in IL is so high this year. This extra free stuff is a big help.

Take Care,
    Jeff Port
    Smallville Miniatures and Exotics
    Peoria, IL
    309/678-3457

5. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

Make sure to save a couple for your dogs Jeff, mine go crazy for pumpkin and squash. I throw them out there and they play and eat it for hours.

Heather

6. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

didn't give any to the dogs yet, but will try tonight! The cows don't really have an interest in them.
    They seem to have a diuretic effect on the pigs...had to back off for a couple days.

7. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

Hey Heather,
    I haven't tried any for the dogs, but I have seen them messing around with them. I will give them a try. By the way, I have one and possibly two litters of Springers due next month. How are your dogs doing? Things going well with the boyfriend? I am happily seeing a farm girl myself. :)

I haven't seen any problems with my pigs and the pumpkins. The pumpkins are definitely putting weight on my critters, noticibly the pigs and a few sheep and goats. Has anyone heard of any disadvantages to feeding the pumpkins and squash?

Take Care,
    Jeff Port
    Smallville Miniatures and Exotics
    Peoria, IL
    309/678-3457

8. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Here is a list of the nurtitional value of pumpkin as quoted from the university of ill. this may or may not work right ,, but if it doesnt line up properly you will have to just look close ,, the 1st line of #'s is for raw pumpkin which is what we are all feeding unless i miss my guess.
    & as with anything if you over feed something to a hog it is going to get different bowel movements & if not watched can & will cause trouble soo,,,,,, please break them in when feeding starting with only alittle at 1st until there systems have time to get used to the new treats.
    Pumpkin
    Nutrients Raw (DB) /Cooked (DB) /Canned (DB)/Libby's Canned
    Serving Size (cup) 1/2 / 1/2 / 1/2 / 1/2
    Wt/svg (g) 58 / 122.5/ 122.5 / 122
    Kcal/svg 15.1 / 24.5/ 41.7 / 40
    Fat (g) 0.06 / 0.9/ 0.34 / 0.5
    Cholesterol (mg) 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Total Carbohydrate (g) 3.8/ 6/ 9.9/ 9
    Fiber (g) 0.29 / 1.3 / 3.6 / 5
    Sodium (mg) 0.58/ 1.2/ 6.1/ 5
    Potassium (mg) 197.2 /281.8 / 252.4 / n/a
    Protein (g) 0.58 / 0.88 / 1.3 / 2
    Vitamin A (IU/svg) 928 / 1325.5 / 27018.6 / 17500
    Vitamin A (% RDI) 18.6 / 26.5 / 540.4 / 350
    Vitamin C (mg/svg) 5.2 / 5.8 / 5.1 / 4.8
    Vitamin C (% RDI) 8.7 / 9.7 / 8.5 / 8
    Calcium (mg/svg) 12.2 / 18.4 / 31.9 / 40
    Calcium (% RDI) 1.2 / 1.8 / 3.2 / 4
    Iron (mg/svg) 0.46 / 0.7 / 9.4 / 10
    Folate (mcg/svg) 9.4 / 10.4 / 15.1 / n/a
    Folate (% RDI) 2.4 / 2.6 / 3.8 / n/a
    DB: Data Bank Values (USDA Nutrient Composition Tables)
    RDI: Recommended aily Intake (Nutrition Label Standard)

9. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

I doubt you can OD them on pumpkins/squash. USed to feed a ton of them to my dogs when I fed a raw diet. Pumpkins especially have a lot of fiber/carbs (why you're seeing the weight gain) and lots of vit A and potassium plus b vits. Really a great food. You know, in Farmer Boy it mentions them feeding the stock pumpkins.

Dogs doing great, except for still getting too much crate time since the business isn't through yet. Have a litter of 3 on the ground, and also got a border collie (bad, BAD Heather). I posted some pix on the pets forum. And Boyfriend is going good. Except for the distance we're in great shape. He was up here when the pups were born and passed the litter of puppies test :). If all goes as planned he'll be moving up in February when the business closes. Can't be soon enough for me. One thing I've learned is that I'm bad at long distance relationships lol.

Glad you found someone! And a farmgirl! That's definitely the way to go. They have to at least love the critters :D.

Heather

10. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

We feed pumpkins to our pigs and sheep along with other crops we grow. I always grow more than what we'll want ourselves so there will be food for the animals. Eventually I would like to do that to the point that I'm putting up winter food for them as well but so far it has mostly been late fall feed when the pastures get low.