Pigs and cows

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jackie c, Dec 15, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Posted this question on the cow board as well, can cows and pigs graze together, or do they need separate pastures?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was growing up, we had cows and hogs in the same pasture. It helps if the pasture is large enough so that the cattle have plenty of grass. We had a heifer drop a calf in the pasture one day while we were gone. The hogs ate about half the calfs tail off. We kept the calf for a milk cow when it grew up. He tail was about 2 feet long with no switch. We milked by hand. When she tried to switch the flys off while milking that tail would whack you in the side of the head. That Smarts! After I got her told about it properly, binder twine tied her tail to the sill obove her.

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks Uncle Will. I would like to raise a cow for meat, and thought it would be cheaper to have the one pature fenced in. I just didn't know if they would get along or transmit any diseases to each other.

4. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

The two should get along just fine. We have had cattle and hogs together before. Just remember that they will need a fair amount of space so the pigs don't root up the whole pasture and the cattle have plenty of room to roam around in. Also make sure that the fence is hog tight because the pigs will test it especially when they get bored with the pasture they are in and want to go exploring.

Good Luck with it!

5. kate

kate Well-Known Member

yep i raised one pig with cows. pig would travel with cows and sleep while cows grazed, and yes your field needs to be hog tight.........pig would return at night to his food house and sleep in bedding, than go back out with cows for company. pig liked the cows and the cows tolerated him.

6. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

WEll back in the day of my gpa, they raised the 2 together when they fed cattle corn, and the hogs would clean up after the cattle...Very clean yards!!
    AJ