Pigmey w/possible prolapse

Discussion in 'Goats' started by VICKI1, Jun 14, 2006.

1. VICKI1

VICKI1 VICKI2

I get into this site everyday and I have gotten some really good information here so I hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a pigmy momma that will be having babies in the next 3 weeks. Two days ago she passed what looked like a small water sack. Now she seems to have a small proplapse. She is eating fine and doesn't seem to be stressed at all. She doen't act like she is in labor. Can anyone tell me what I should do next or what I should be watching for? Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Vicki

2. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

what exactly did you see? Was the bag intact? U sure it wasn't the water bag in which a kid should have came next?

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I think what you saw was the plug. Some does will pass this a month before kidding or pass it the day of kidding as did my pygmy doe, or any time in between. For the prolapse, could you possibly supply a picture of it? I think all it is, is her body getting ready to kid... Watch her close, It actually sounds like she will kid VERY soon, if she looks like that.

4. VICKI1

VICKI1 VICKI2

What I think was a water sack was just a little bubble. I am sure she has prolapsed. It is about 2" across and is about 1" out. She does not show any discomfort at all. This is her 3rd time to kid. Both other times she has had twins. The first time they were big so we had to help her but last year there was no problem. She is bred to another pigmy no other bigger goats around. Should I try to push it back? Other than cows the only other prolaspe I've delt with was in a ewe and she prolasped after she had her babies.

5. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

ooh its currently hanging out"?? The water looking bag? Maybe she is trying to kid but for some reason stopped contracting?

6. VICKI1

VICKI1 VICKI2

No the water looking bag is gone and now the prolapse is whats left. If she reaches around to scratch her side or if she makes a little noise to talk to you or any kind of pressure you can see it push out a little more and then go back in but the prolapse itself stays there.
    Mygoat - what we saw may have been a plug.
    Will she be able to kid with a prolapse? Vicki

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Is it possible to take a picture of it? it would really help. if it is the water bag, she needs to have help delivering, but if it is the Uterus and it is prolapsed, then it has to be taken care of right away.

8. VICKI1

VICKI1 VICKI2

I don't have a way to get a picture but will see if I can find someone who can help me. It's red and textured like cauliflower. I can't think of any other way to explain it.

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

She just said she is SURE it's a prolapse, not a water bag!!! Goodness.

A vaginal prolapse isn't an emergency that needs to be taken care of right away, but it would be better to do what you can to keep it from getting worse. You can fashion a harness to hold in the prolapse. It's done with rope and she can still pee, poop, and kid through it. Pretty cool actually.

Here's a link:
    http://www.caf.wvu.edu/avs/sheep/Quarterly Newsletter/NLFALL00.pdf
    The article is about sheep, but it's used for goats too.

One thing to think about. Once a goat prolapses, it's likely to keep happening and to get worse in future pregnancies. I would probably not breed her again, if it were me.

10. VICKI1

VICKI1 VICKI2

ok, I'm going to give this a try. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks everyone! Vicki