Piglets with yellow scours

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mouse, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have 3 piglets still with their sow who have yellow scours. They are 7 weeks old. They are still with their sow because we had to get rid of the huge boar in the pig pen. We took him to slaughter last weekend and plan on taking this sow out of the piglet pen this weekend. What could be causing the scours? What should I do?

Thank you,
    Mouse

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

What are you feeding them and how much

3. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

The sow and 3 piglets are eating all purpose pellets, 12% protein. They've had this available since birth and eat with mama. We give them 4-5 lbs twice a day.

I did some researching and it might be E coli or coccidiosis. Does that maybe make sense?

4. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

We plan on changing their feed gradually to pig starter once the sow is out of their pen this weekend. Then onto grower when they hit 50lbs.

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Man Mouse, I'm sure sorry to hear this. You have had such bad luck with your babies this year! :(
    Here is a site that might help a little.
    http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/pigs/4457.html

It explains the types of scours. I wish I could be of more help, just make sure they are getting enough water to drink, some electrolytes might be needed to keep them hydrated. Something with sugar, glucose or dextrose would be good.
    Sometimes piglets get scours at weaning time, but since you haven't moved the mama, it must be something else. maybe e coli.
    Did you get my e-mail yesterday? After I hit send, my computer said error or something weird and I'm not sure it sent!! Let me know if you didn't! :D