Piglet with bald spot

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by frog1437, Apr 8, 2006.

1. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

I have about 17 little ones in a pen. 1 has developed a bald spot on its side, doesn't look like a sore just all the hair rubbed off in an egg shape about the size of a soft ball.The other piglets seem to like rubbing its side with their nose. I have treated it with Ivomec. and it doesn't seem to be clearing up. All the others aren't showing any signs of anything. Any suggestions would be very helpful.. Thanks By the way anyone looking for feeders in N.C give me a hollar. Thanks again....

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Frog, how big is the pen and what have these pigs got to amuse themselves with?

It will be the other pigs noseing him that is taking the hair off and it is behaviour often brought on by boredom.

If they were my pigs I would halve the number per pen at least and give them some old tyres to move around, hang a chain across the corner at their back level for them to scratch on, give them a plastic container full of water to play with, some lengths of large diameter hose, some large tin cans so they can make lots of noise with them on the concrete, throw them some clods of dirt complete with grass and weeds to root around with.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

That could be it I guess.. They have a 20 X 20 barn area and the pasture area is probably 20 x 40 . I am thinking the chain would probably be best I use electric so the others would probably find their way over to the fence and cause a ground.. Thanks for the idea