Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got some 10 week old piglets. When we got home one had a limp. Didn’t notice at pick up but the man brought them out and we just loaded them into truck. She will use leg to move bedding around and will use it a bit if she is pushing for a food spot (LOL). I haven’t raised pigs in years so a little rusty. Could she have a broken leg or just a sprain? There is some swelling. Any advice would be appreciated!!

·
Banned
7 Posts
We just got some 10 week old piglets. When we got home one had a limp. Didn’t notice at pick up but the man brought them out and we just loaded them into truck. She will use leg to move bedding around and will use it a bit if she is pushing for a food spot (LOL). I haven’t raised pigs in years so a little rusty. Could she have a broken leg or just a sprain? There is some swelling. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Once she is putting weight on the leg its unlikely to be more than a sprain....put in smaller group or alone maybe for a while.... just to have less pressure on her while feeding.....keep plenty bedding and she should be ok...I had one the same...took 6 weeks to get bettera,.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If they dont get enough sunlight, they get rickets which is swelling in the joint areas. I found this out the hard way, I got an orphaned pig (couple days old) and I spent so much time trying to keep it warm bc that's what I read most was to prevent them from going below 90 degrees. It had rained for like 3 straight days so he was in a tub inside under towels and next thing I knew his little hoof was swelled and the next day his back leg was swelled at the "knee". Hope this helped if not, just good info for the future lol

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,321 Posts
Alternate hot and cold packs ten minutes. Every three hours.

Massage. Twice a day.

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had a similar situation with a young berkshire. A few weeks after bringing her home her "knee" was swollen and she would limp on it. It seemed to come and go over the next few weeks. I was feeding a mix i was making and ran out so I bought a few bags of pellet feed and her issue never came back. I started mixing my feed mixture with bag feed and she did not have an issue again. Could be coincidence but I think she wasn't getting something she needed to grow.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
If it hasn't cleared up in three or four months, I would go ahead and eat her.

·
Interrobanger
5,655 Posts
Don't keep her on concrete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts