Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought 3 females original plan was to butcher 1 or 2 and keep at least one as a breeder. There hamp/york/ doroc mixes. Well 2 are similar looking the 3rd looks hamp . She is tiny and her rump is small seems her hind legs are really close together. So i decided she must have been the runt. Well shes really pulling at our hearts and is the most friendly pig of the group will run up and greet us and demand belly scratches lol. That's 1 of my must haves i want in sows. So could she grow up to have better looking rump or is this a fault we should cull for? Or should i worm her? O she also has 14 teats so that's another plus. These are are first piglets so i have no clue what to really look for and what not to. I've included pics but really don't do justice. There is one next to her sis and u can see her tiny size.

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
Keep it as a pet if you like her, but I wouldn't breed her. Try worming. If she's truly a runt, there's some reason she's a runt; something is wrong with her. If it's worms, she could catch up, but if the other 2 are fine and conditions are the same, then I would suspect she's a runt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i worry about that. May sell her as the kids all like her. Hate to eat the first pig the kids like lol. We dont got room for pets that don't produce. I know pigs are meant for our food but some have a way to pull at your heart strings lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Once they get big and pushy the cute factor wears thin.

If it's a runt then definitely don't breed her.

It will take longer to reach your target weight, but a hundred pound pig tastes pretty darn good too, so don't fret about processing early.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts