Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I fed the piglets at 7 AM - they get a mix of hog pellets and kitchen scraps. Both acted their normal happy self.

I came out right before 11 AM to check on the lice situation and one of the piglets just did not seem her good happy self. She just wants to lay down and sleep. No interest in the cracked corn or bread. Usually they go crazy for the cracked corn, we throw it to them and use that time to socialize with them, rub them, etc.

She is rooting a little and picking a thing or two off the pasture, but no interest in what I brought. She even laid on her side and let me inspect her belly for the lice (I picked a few with vasoline). She does not have any sores from the lice, I did not see anything physically wrong.

Her sister ate some corn but she did not seem into it either. But she is rooting and moving around happily.

Come to think of it, the chickens did not care for the corn either today (usually everyone comes - pigs and chickens).

She does not feel warm. I did not measure temperature but she is not warmer than her sister.

I am not sure if I should just wait and see or if I need to do "something" (except I have no idea what "something" to do) ... They usually sleep after I feed them in the morning. I do not know if they slept this morning or not. I usually come later with the corn but they always seem excited to see me every time I come over.

I also gave her some sugar water and she drank a little.

These are our first pigs ... and I am worried about my little girl.

Any suggestions?

ETA: She was born July 15.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
This morning I fed the piglets at 7 AM - they get a mix of hog pellets and kitchen scraps. Both acted their normal happy self.

I came out right before 11 AM to check on the lice situation and one of the piglets just did not seem her good happy self. She just wants to lay down and sleep. No interest in the cracked corn or bread. Usually they go crazy for the cracked corn, we throw it to them and use that time to socialize with them, rub them, etc.

She is rooting a little and picking a thing or two off the pasture, but no interest in what I brought. She even laid on her side and let me inspect her belly for the lice (I picked a few with vasoline). She does not have any sores from the lice, I did not see anything physically wrong.

Her sister ate some corn but she did not seem into it either. But she is rooting and moving around happily.

Come to think of it, the chickens did not care for the corn either today (usually everyone comes - pigs and chickens).

She does not feel warm. I did not measure temperature but she is not warmer than her sister.

I am not sure if I should just wait and see or if I need to do "something" (except I have no idea what "something" to do) ... They usually sleep after I feed them in the morning. I do not know if they slept this morning or not. I usually come later with the corn but they always seem excited to see me every time I come over.

I also gave her some sugar water and she drank a little.

These are our first pigs ... and I am worried about my little girl.

Any suggestions?

ETA: She was born July 15.
You fed them this morning and they take a nap. Maybe she doesn't have her nap out and not ready to eat yet.
You still got lice?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You fed them this morning and they take a nap. Maybe she doesn't have her nap out and not ready to eat yet.
You still got lice?
Gerold, thank you for responding. I just went to check on them (so about an hour after I saw them last) and they were both sleeping. They got up to see me and she seemed normal again. Wagging tail and making happy noises. They were not jumping up and down per se, but normal for just being woken up. I got them some warm milk. She took a couple of sips and went to eating grass/weeds. Her sister drank a bit more and went foraging as well. So I am praying she was just sleepy.

Yes, we still have lice but are on the upswing. I started treating them on the 24th with DE. I removed the ones I could see yesterday and this morning. The DE is definitely working as I have seen dead lice and the area that had a bunch of them looks much better (although this was mostly on her sister, Cinnamon did not have them as bad).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts