Piglet Formula

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I've had to remove two newborns from the sow pen. Long story but it is for the best. They were born Friday morning and had colostrum. I removed them last night. I have kid (goat) milk replacer and mixed that up and they took it greedily, but is that good for them? Anyone have any tried and true recipes to help them along? Thank you.

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Tango, I'm not going to be of much help, but I give our runts milk and scrambled eggs. They seem to do good on it.
    Hope they do well for you. :)

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

That's right. I remember you said that once and I meant to write it down. Thanks :) I've used chicken broth on orphans before and they did well but never had three day-olds before. Plus I don't have any chickens left in the freezer and I don't use store bought chickens. One already has the runs and I don't want them to go under or they might not come back up.

4. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Tango,

I spent part of my life in the Vet School at UC, Davis. My bride is a farm veterinarian from the Philippines...she used to raise pigs by the thousands. I asked her and got a response about, just use milk replacer. I know the main difference between calf and lamb milk replacer is the fat content. But I do not know about hog milk.

I've raised a lot of pigs on goat milk and whatever else. Never met a pig that wouldn't be willing to kill its mom for goat milk. May not be "just right" for the piglet, but you are going the direction I would.

Beyond this, not much help!

bearkiller

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Bearkiller, I will let you all know how they do. I will start with rice flakes tomorrow. This milk just doesn't seem to stay with them much.

6. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

In Dirk Van Loons book he says the formula for orphan pigs is 1 pint whole milk and 1 tablespoon skim milk powder. Feed just a little(tablespoon) many times a day as too much at one time will give them scours. It also says a piglet will learn to drink from a saucer within a matter of days.

Carol K

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank you Carol. They took to a bottle well but the saucer is the better option for me since I won't be around enough to feed them regularly. I am hoping I can switch them to a saucer in a day or two.